Myrtle And Tulip Poplar 5-Str Bass Being Built At Rockbeach

Boggs

This shows the RockBeach 5-string bass with the neck just sitting on the neck pocket extension which is much longer than it will be when finished. The body is myrtle top and back with tulip poplar midsection.

Myrtle_5-str1s.jpg

Myrtle_5-str2s.jpg

Myrtle_5-str3s.jpg

Very, very cool.

What's the finish going to be like? I'd definitely vote for a satin finish, but that's just my taste.

Edit:

Wait, I know you. You commented on my build thread on TGP.

Edited by NotYou

TGP is a funny place... I can't raise a comment there to save my life. Seems incredibly clique-ish for some reason.

Oh, extremely. I hate that place. :D

I go on there occasionally because it does get me some attention, but I really do hate it. Even though I build guitars, I'm not a gear person. There is a general mentality that just bugs me. I see a great instrument as work of art and something special somebody poured their self into. They tend to see it as something to collect, a toy, or something to idealize like a little kid drooling at a muscle car.

To each his own, though. They're absolutely allowed to their see it how they will, but I don't like being there. I used to converse more on there, but I honestly think it did more harm than good, since I completely don't see eye to eye with the vast majority of those guys.

Getting attention is tough on there. Almost every thread in the luthiers section is about the same handful of builders. Those guys deserve the attention, for sure, but the community manages to single them out as the only ones, just like they do with Fender and Gibson. That can be very irritating as a builder, especially since that area is meant to be a departure from that stuff.

But, it is what it is. Me complaining about how the public views something won't do any good. You're not the only one who can't get comments, though. I think most of us have that same complaint.

Jeeze, I guess I had some venting to do about TGP. Haha