Annoying Wiring Problem

hooglebug

its probably something really obvious, but for the life of me my eyes just cant see it. the diagram below is self explanatory. everything works fine until i turn the phase switch on, then all output is lost. i took the bridge ground off and the whole circuit worked, but with the phase switch on was very very noisy. but only with the phase switch turned on. what am i missing here?

wiringproblem_zpsa28f5b81.jpg

This is kinda funny cause this doesn't come up often, but I've answered this exact question to 3 different people in the past month. The problem is with the way your bridge pickup is made. Pickups like tele neck, tele bridge, P90s, 2-cable humbuckers with covers are problematic for this. The reason is that they generally only come with a coil-start and coil-end wire. Annoyingly, they don't expect people to want to phase switch so they multi-purpose one of the wires as a GROUND as well. They figure you're just going to solder it to ground anyways.

What I mean by this is they are running a jumper from one wire to the cover/plate to ground that too. It works fine when in normal. However, when you swap the wires, your 'hot' now is a ground hahahaha.

Solution: Unwire the jumper that goes to the cover/base-plate and run that independently to ground (either with a single wire or by upgrading the entire pickup to have a 3-conductor cable out).

Best of luck!

Chris