First scratch build begins

Beauty thanks Andrew. That's what I thought I just wanted to make sure I wasn't grossly off base there.   I'm going back and forth between ash and poplar.  Poplar is apparently similar to basswood which I have in two Ibanez guitars I love, but I think it looks kind of crappy compared to alder..  ah decisions

It's nothing amazing ;) it's just a 7 piece neck blank and a flame maple fingerboard blank at this point. But yes I should get them up and going.  All the pictures are on my camera so I actually have to re host them to photo bucket.  I'll do it today! 

-Brett

I'll just take a few pictures with my phone and post them :)

Edited by BetterOffShred
  • Like 1

Thanks!  Yeah the laminate was actually pretty easy. I ripped the straps in the table saw and then planed them a hair and then glued it all up and then ran it through the planer down to .755 if I remember correctly.. 

Yeah I'm going to scarf it for sure, and I'm currently making a little opposing color sandwich to put between the head and neck when I glue it up for cool colors at the volute area.   I'll probably mess something up and have to redo it anyway hehehe. 

-Brett

OK well I got a router, the craftsman one with a plunge base and a regular flat base.  I got some 6/4 poplar as well, which looking at it now is a little thinner than I wanted.  

So it's like 33.5 mm thick, I wanted roughly 1.75" total body thickness, and binding, so if I use the 1cm binding and a top just a hair shy of 1cm, I'll come out at like 43 mm which just short of 1.75".  Any gross errors in this line of thinking?  

Thanks for looking 

I personally haven't done any binding but just doing the math you would be fine.  I use inches so, 33.5mm is 1.320, I would get a .375 top that puts you at 1.695 and 1cm binding .400 so you would have .025 binding to scrape down. 

Your end thickness not thinking of sanding loss would be 1.695 so only .055 less than a standard tele, you could probably make that up In lacquer build up. 

Being a little thin is just fine, 2 of the guitars I'm building right now is 1.250 body thickness. 

Edited by 2.5itim
Spelling
  • Like 1

Yeah I bid on the top on ebay and I might win it, but if not I'm heading up to Addy washington next week, they have a big pile of figured Claro for 10$ board/foot. I'm going to have to ghetto resaw it/'book-match' to thickness using the table saw flip and the  bandsaw the leftover strip method. Then run through the planer till it's close to flat and take the rest off with a block to keep from tearing out. 

I know it's super boring and there's no pictures and progress shots, but I have finals this week and we're redoing the tile on our kitchen cook top area. I also want to make sure the ducks are in a row.  Thanks for looking.

-Brett