Neck joint reshaping

Jupiter

Hey guys!

The guitar i'm working on { a reshaped Schecter C-7 } has a typical Strat-style neck joint, which i really don't care for... it's just a great big old block with a metal plate on it. The neck has a 4-bolt configuration, but it's not offset like, say, an Ibanez AANJ bolt pattern is. I suppose this is also the typical Strat way of doing it. So, what i'm wanting to know is how tough it would be to reshape it... i'd like to at least mash a palm sander on the back of the block, so it at least won't be so thick. But, if i had my choice, i'd reshape it into a quasi- AANJ. I guess if i did this, i would have to fill the old bolt holes in the neck { wouldn't i ? } and redrill them, fill the old bolt holes in the neck joint, and redrill them, too. If i did this, would i be able to use the bolts that it came with stock, or would i want to go buy new ones? They seem to be skinnier than AANJ-style guitars have. Would this be as hard to do as it sounds?

Please help!

Ben

I guess if i did this, i would have to fill the old bolt holes in the neck { wouldn't i ? } and redrill them, fill the old bolt holes in the neck joint, and redrill them, too. If i did this, would i be able to use the bolts that it came with stock, or would i want to go buy new ones? They seem to be skinnier than AANJ-style guitars have. Would this be as hard to do as it sounds?

Please help!

Ben

I'll leave the rest to more experienced folks than me, but your question above. Make SURE if you're going to make the neck join slimmer that you get shorter screws. It's entirely possible that your current neck screw are short enough to work if you take a good bit of wood off the block. Of course, it's more probable that they'll screw right thru your fretboard.

yea, i would suggest some small wood dowels for filling the holes, they work wonders, and like he said, shorter the screws the better, other than that, there should be no other major problems that i can think of, if you dont want to use dowels in the neck then just some wood glue and some toothpicks will work to fill the holes too, i usually drop a few drops of glue in the hole to be filled, drop 3 toothpicks in, break em off so thay they are flush to the bottom of the neck and let it dry and that would take care of it, but i would use dowels for the body holes to be filled, just be careful as a aanj in my opinion is ok, but the neck heel and placement of the bolts in it are they key to a strong joint, you dont want your neck shifting any, thats why i would definately fill those holes to help keep the interrgrity, but thats my opinion, maybe someone else on here will know more, :D good luck

jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

It's not as hard as you think. I did the "pseudo-AANJ" to a '93 RG550 that had the standard neck plate, 4 bolt thing. You should do it! It's fun and it feels so much better than having that block against your palm.

As far as filling the old holes, no, I bought neck attachment screw ferrules-ferulles (?) & used the exsisting holes of the upper right, lower right & lower left screws. The new upper left hole I had to drill, the old upper left hole was cut off when I rounded that corner off the body. You also need to counter sink the ferrules with a counterbore or I forget what it's called right now, but it cuts a hole with a nice flat bottom.

I did have to buy shorter screws too, I just picked them up at Home Depot, I brought the old screws with so I could match the threads up somewhat. I bought a thicker screw for the new hole, since I would be drilling it fresh anyway, I figured it would give added strength.

I'll try to post a picture for you.

Or go here :My Ibanez Mod