How to finish the job? RICKENBACKER 4001

WesRoberts

Got any pikchures? Read up on some of LGM's tutorials in the "pinned" section above. There are lots of different types of imperfections, usually occurring during the stripping process. I've dinged (tiny gouges) the wood numerous times while scraping. There is a certain methodology involved in prepping a guitar for finishing. If you have imperfections like dents, scratches and gouges in the wood you can't simply concentrate on sanding them smooth individually. That will result in a general "unevenness" in your final finish. And its very easy to detect when seeing light reflecting off the gloss.

Your sanding should be done as evenly as possible. Use a rigid block on flat areas, maybe a foam pad on gentle curves. If you plan on painting the guitar then you could probably use filler in the deeper areas, but look for that happy medium where you can take the highs and lows out evenly.

As far as applying laquer goes, it depends on what sort of tools you have available and your skill(s) at using those tools. I don't have a compressor spraygun apparatus or even the facilities to use one. I get along just fine in the backyard, when the weather behaves, with rattle cans of automotive laquer or polyurethane.

A good idea would be to find a book on finishing or building in general. Melvyn Hiscock's "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" is a good resource. Keep reading this forum, MIMF and others. If you aren't sure about what you are doing then don't begin until you have a game plan set in your head. I'm fairly new at the guitar finishing game myself, and have opted to practice on a few cheapo guitars first. Most of my previous experience was in the autobody and boat building trades, but the principles are all pretty much the same.

Personally, I learn more from my own mistakes than others. Sort of like "I have to see it for myself, then I'll believe it."