Custom Guitars

RAI6

Hello, y'all!

I'm considering starting up my own little "shop of horrors" (or guitars.....), but before getting in over my head I wanted to hear what you guys are looking for in a custom guitar.

Right now I'm only interested in the "basics" (no fancy inlay work or swirl paint jobs!), so that I can establish a baseline.

What are the basic features you would ask for in a custom guitar, and what would you expect to pay for it?

Now, don't say $50!

Be reasonable...........

Thank you!

What style of guitar do you look for:

Vintage or Modern

Body wood:

Ash, Alder, Maple, Mahogany

Front or rear routed?

Fretboard wood:

Rosewood, Maple, Ebony

What type of bridge:

Hardtail, Vintage trem, Floyd Rose

Tuner:

Standard or Locking

What brand of pickups:

Duncan, Dimarzio, Other

Buzz Feiten Tuning System?

Solid or Transparent colors?

With your above choices in mind, what do you expect to pay for a guitar like that?

Once again, thank you for looking at this............................

:D

ok I'll play B)

but I went for "no fancy inlay work or swirl paint jobs!"

What style of guitar do you look for:

Modern

Body wood:

Mahogany

Front or rear routed?

Rear

Fretboard wood:

Rosewood

What type of bridge:

Ibanez Floyd Rose Lo-Pro

Tuner:

Locking

What brand of pickups:

Dimarzio

Buzz Feiten Tuning System?

no

Solid or Transparent colors?

multiple colours

With your above choices in mind, what do you expect to pay for a guitar like that?

£1200 about

without the inlay and swirl maybe £800

Here it is:

http://www.jemfest.com/misc/simon/oz/angle2.jpg

best wishes

Simon

:D

Interesting question, and one that I've only just started to ask myself. I read through your questions, and thought about them. Then I thought, well if I'm really going for a custom instrument, I would think beyond options of an existing instrument.

So, to contradict what I've just said, I would probably start with something similar to all of my favorite guitars squashed together. It would be a variant on the venerable strat. A modern classic.

Body: probably Alder with an Ash top. Alder for the sound, Ash for the grain.

Rout: either front or back... Not sure. Unless there was a way to not rout the guitar at all and have the electronics mounted from the inside. It would be impossible to repair. :D Maybe just have a pick gaurd made from the same wood on the guitar and have it flush mount?

Fretboard: Maple boat neck with a Pau Ferro board. Small frets. and probably around a 10" radius.

Electronics: tough one. I like Seymours, DiMarzios, and some of the Fender vintage PU's for different reasons. It would probably have a little of each, but selected or modified so the they don't look that different from each other.

Hardware: I don't whammy, stop tailpiece for me. String through.

Finish: Burst. I have no idea what kind...

Hmmm,

sounds like bill and i are on the same wavelength, sounds really close to what I would like, but I love the jumbo frets, and good ol maple, no rosewood or pau ferro for me, other than that, what he said, i have always thought it would be cool to some how cut the wood so that a pickguard thick veneer from that exact body could be made so that when replaced, the grain matched perfectly, wow reading his description was almost like what i have had in my head for a while now

so what he said