Rebel Yell

daveq

I'm not what anyone would consider a big Billy Idol fan but I do like some of his stuff. I think Steve Stevens (spelling?) is incredible. Does anyone know how he does that wierd sound at the very end of the solo? It kinda sounds like a machine gun if you know what I mean. I've seen him use strange things like a kid's toy pistol (electronic type) and hold it near the pickups to make some interesting sounds but I don't think that's what it is in this case. It might just be some palm muting combined with heavy whammy bar usage - it's hard to tell.

That was a comcination of a harmonizer, an echo and something else, which I forget. I read it once a way long time in Guitar World (Steve on the cover talking about the Atomic Playboys disk). I might have it at home. If not, it's at my parents' house, and I won't have ready access to it for a good long while.

I'm guess that he probably had a touch of chorus on it as well...

The "jigajigajigajiga" It's called "The Raygun Effect."

So that was the toy gun making that noise? OK, for some reason I thought that was used on a different song. No wonder I couldn't come close to reproducing it. Thanks!

No, I think what he's saying is that it sounds like a toy raygun, but can be imitated on guitar. When I first heard it on Rebel Yell, I thought it was a sample dropped in... anyway.

Do you make that "ray gun" sound that is literally a trademark signature sound of yours (it appears in BLS, Dirty Diana) using the guitar?

Up till this time, I opened up ray guns and tweaked the potentiometers to get the sound I wanted. I then played it through the guitar pick up. My brother is helping me design an instrument that will produce that sound straight from the guitar.

I found an interview where he talks about using the ray gun (see above).