Fixing a bad spray paint job

RwwL

I'm a first-timer working on a 335-style kit. I'm trying to vaguely emulate the look of the '70s walnut stain Gibsons. The stain on the body turned out nice, but it seemed more of a fit to paint the headstock than stain it. So I tried with some Krylon Fusion matte black spray paint and it's looking kind of crappy—lots of bumps or bubbles in the finish. I guess I put it on a little too thick? It's too bad, because I did a few test strips first to get used to using the spray can and they turned out better than the actual headstock.

Anyway, if anyone has tips on how to salvage this, I'd appreciate them. Right now I was planning on letting it dry overnight and then trying to lightly sand it with 400 or 600 grit to see if I can just take the bumps off.

PXL_20210402_225042418.jpg

Sanding the bumps off is the first step. If the paint layer is thick enough you may be able to flatten it to be able to sand up to 2000 and then polish it. If you sand through the paint, then you'll have to repaint it with better luck. In any case you'll have to sand it flat.

• Thanks 1