Wiring Question

Lucius Paisley

image.png.1dbba3136c9ca16a0e50d172f5285c49.png

The above guitar arrived yesterday, a purchase of a guitar that had been returned due to neck pickup not working and sold at a large discount to me.
After it arrived, I tested it out, the neck pickup didn't work, but due to the stacked P90's the bridge pickup could go from normal P90 to humbucker tones thanks to a push/pull pot. After playing it for a little while I basically went to town on it, disconnecting tone pots, the neck volume pot, and the neck pickup.

I then made an attempt at creating a dummy coil from the neck pickup, long story short, that pickup will definitely never work again. The external wiring from which is now completely removed along with the poles and inner magnets. I then shoved the remains back into the cover and put it back in place - I think it looks good.

Now what I have found is this guitar is VERY noisy - big surprise, right? considering what I did to it - the humbucker tones / normal P90 switch still works, and as you can probably guess the normal P90 position is almost Guitar Wolf style noisy (look them up if you don't know Guitar Wolf, you'll hear immediately what I mean).

All the disconnected wiring is still inside the guitar, I haven't touched the wiring on the bridge pickup or bridge pot. When I switch to either the middle or top position, the guitar is completely silent, since there's nothing for those positions to connect to (Sorry. Obvious, I know). However, it is still connected to the neck volume push/pull, which I figured since that is not connected to anything, I should be fine. But I can't get it out of my head that it's not fine and that's precisely why I'm having the noise issue I'm having and I should disconnect that completely.

Am I (sorry for the novel, but I feel I should go through exactly what's been changed in order to discount the possibility of another unthought of problem) right?

I had to check what stacked P90's are... Interesting!

Also had to check Guitar Wolf and to be honest that didn't sound too bad for a fifies rockabilly fan...

And I seem to like P90's, on my builds there's one with the soap bars and two with HB sized ones.

If you don't bother with brand names, stacked P90's can be found for a few tenners at Amazon or Ebay. Not too expensive to bring at least some of the original glory back!

5 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

I had to check what stacked P90's are... Interesting!

Also had to check Guitar Wolf and to be honest that didn't sound too bad for a fifies rockabilly fan...

And I seem to like P90's, on my builds there's one with the soap bars and two with HB sized ones.

If you don't bother with brand names, stacked P90's can be found for a few tenners at Amazon or Ebay. Not too expensive to bring at least some of the original glory back!

One unsuppressed urge to say "screw it" and two snips of my beard scissors - I don't even have a beard, why do I own these? Because they work better than my damn wire cutters seems to be the answer to that question - later and the "extra" noise is gone.

There's still a little, but no more or less than your standard P90 hum, which is why we buy P90s to begin with.

And how great is the Orange Crush Mini? Guitar tuner and perfectly portable guitar "cabinet" in one. Perfect for testing my flights of fancy.

9 hours ago, Lucius Paisley said:

And how great is the Orange Crush Mini?

Hehe! The modern small amps are great for playing at bedroom sound levels! My playing hours multiplicated since I bought a Blackstar Fly. No built-in tuner, instead a delay and a button for extra gain - which I don't need as the gain pot gives enough crunch for the style of music I play.