Building Guitar One - Finally!

I've been intending to do this for the last 30 years, but life kept intervening. Recently retired - I have no more excuses. So here goes. It's a dreadnought. The sides and back materials are Lovoa (aka "African walnut" for some reason. It's part of the Mahogany family). Top will be Sitka spruce. Neck is Honduras mahogany, fretboard and bridge are ebony, and I'm toying with the idea of using curly maple for binding the body and the fretboard. I just finished binding a rosewood fretboard in maple and it came out well.

I'm going slowly as each minute seems like a learning experience. I've been studying this stuff all my adult life, since the mid - 1970s when Michael Gurian and Charles Fox were both within 40 miles of my door in Vermont. Been hanging onto the wood I bought from Gurian all these years. I expect its probably dry enough now. . .

Here are a few shots of my crazy small shop and progress to date.

Inside form.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like you're off to a flying start. I've got that rosette cutter, it's a really good bit of kit. I found it quite scary cutting the route for the rosette the first time and did get a bit of tearout on the spruce, second time round I wiped a bit of danish oil on the area which helped a lot, I expect a bit of schellac would work just as well. 

Looking forward to seeing it progress.