Less – a simplified Leslie style cabinet

henrim

17 hours ago, henrim said:

I haven’t finished the cab yet but it has been hooked to an amp and I have played with it every now and then. It definitely needs side vents. Really boxy sounding as is, but I wanted to try before cutting the holes.

I found an old Accutronics spring tank while organizing my workshop. The driver I made years ago wasn’t working but apparently it was just a charge pump chip that had to be replaced. May not be the best ever reverb but way more spacious than the digital one on the DSL20. And that spongy spring sound is perfect fit with the spinning speaker. Too bad I didn’t think about that tank before I made the cabinet because now that tank doesn’t fit inside. Would have been a solid package. 

75685700-F47E-4A89-9E25-328BFD3C204F.jpeg

a while back I had messed around with the 'stage center reverb' which was a tank driver that was in some magazine article and has been modified in the pedal world by ggg.  I had mounted the tank under the pedalboard I had at the time.  

that def did not use a charge pump (just ran at 9v)... what circuit were you using if you don't mind me asking?

37 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

that def did not use a charge pump (just ran at 9v)... what circuit were you using if you don't mind me asking?

Max1044 is there to provide -9V and +9V rails to power an opamp. It is essentially the same Craig Anderton design what you used. The original used two 9V batteries to provide the +/- rails.

I believe the reason the chip was toast was that for some reason I had made the power connector center positive. Which I had not marked in the case. And at some point I have connected it to my regular center negative pedal power supply. Anyway fixed the polarity as I was at it. I guess I had a separate PSU at the time I built the driver, which just happened to be center positive. It was at least 10 years ago when built it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, henrim said:

Max1044 is there to provide -9V and +9V rails to power an opamp. It is essentially the same Craig Anderton design what you used. The original used two 9V batteries to provide the +/- rails.

I believe the reason the chip was toast was that for some reason I had made the power connector center positive. Which I had not marked in the case. And at some point I have connected it to my regular center negative pedal power supply. Anyway fixed the polarity as I was at it. I guess I had a separate PSU at the time I built the driver, which just happened to be center positive. It was at least 10 years ago when built it. 

so you didn't have diode reverse polarity protection... or the diode is now a white puff of smoke (hehe)?  Ahh... on the max1044.  I am aware of using it in that capacity and have used it for +-9, +18v, etc... my stage center was not powered via battery so... 2 + 2 = 13 - perhaps I did use that and just don't recall.  Was a decent sounding reverb anyway.  Idk if you are familiar with the belton reverb brick... but there are some pretty good circuit designs out there for it.  

1 minute ago, mistermikev said:

so you didn't have diode reverse polarity protection

No, I never bother adding one to pedals I build for myself, because wrong polarity should not ever happen. I guess I should reconsider that, though. 

6 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

Idk if you are familiar with the belton reverb brick... but there are some pretty good circuit designs out there for it.  

I only know them by name. Something to put on the bucket list :) 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, henrim said:

No, I never bother adding one to pedals I build for myself, because wrong polarity should not ever happen. I guess I should reconsider that, though. 

I only know them by name. Something to put on the bucket list :) 

i figured I'm building for "me in the future" who will, no doubt, find a way to hook up a battery backwards or use the wrong power supply!

• Like 1