Bass VI style build

9 minutes ago, nakedzen said:

I had to give it a try on how it sounds before I take the neck off. Good news is it sounds absolutely massive unplugged. Bad news is the P90 sounds like a garbage fire. Extremely thin and scratchy. Not sure why but it's also very low output, it measures 10k DC.

If all the wiring is good, I guess polarity of the magnets is something to double check. 

• Like 1

Yup, checked that first. Then redid the wiring. Same result, but I'll wait until I have everything done before jumping to conclusions. For now it sounds like there's only the highest harmonic and the root note coming through and nothing in between. Not even clang clang style Korn bass but just scratch scratch scratch.

I guess as sometimes it goes with an experiment, you have to step back and say, welp, that didn't work. :D

The P90 just sounds too ratty. Would work in a dive bar grindcore gig, but not much else. I guess I'll put some EMG 35DC's on my shopping list and widen the pickup routes to fit those.

Here's what it would've looked like with p90's.

20231217_170155.jpg