PRS Custom 24 fret

29 minutes ago, TG903 said:

maybe I'll try binding next time.

I like how the black covers the bevel of the sides, not just the vertical (does give a bit of binding appearance). Combined with the poplar’s grain and colouration, it almost makes the flat top look like an acoustic top. It’s working well for this build.

Some purfling/faux-purfling pinstripe demarcation between the two could look sharp and the top would pop even more. (A thought for a next time 😄)

9 hours ago, JAK said:

Done purposefully for stability or because of the wood stock available for this build?

I thought it would add some stability, even though my poplar is pretty dry and I haven't seen any twisting in my other builds with this slab. It may be over kill though, I hope I can get the strings to pull a slight bow in the neck under tension, but I may have to utilize my dual-action truss rod to create the bow. I'm also going with a gibson style wrap around bridge, in case I didn't get the neck angle just right. After about 5 layers of poly it has really darkened the wood. I would like to build a spray booth so I use some pre-cat lacquer eventually.

n.thumb.jpg.d04f07cd8bed360a7490636698d02f8c.jpg

Here's where I suck, I always screw up these tight areas around the neck and have to re-finish. I also botched the fretboard trying to drill for 2 side dots, I'm opting for this hideous scallop instead i guess. Notice my fret sawing is also lack luster, maybe a multi-scale now lol

o.thumb.jpg.47670b9ce7832c51ed98ee6043bfb133.jpg