Bass GSM Noise problem

Hi,

i have just finnished a new bass guitar build with active electronics.

Everything works but i do get a loud gsm sound like in the good old days from time to time if my phone is in my pocket.

example of a gsm sound: (https://www.windytan.com/2013/01/the-gsm-buzz.html?m=1)

This kind of confuses me, because ive never had that happen with my other guitars and basses. 

I know the solution is simple with just not having a phone in my pocket but i still would like to know why this bass does it, and others dont.

specs of this Build:

- 2 Single Coil Pickups from a Fender Jazz Bass (I know, not optimal for noise reduction)

- preamp https://artecsound.com/pickups/electronics/se3.html  (pretty cheap - could be the problem?)

- electronics cavity is shielded with conductive tape.

Also strange - this bass has no hum or other noise whatsoever, it will just start beeping when i recive a message on my phone.

Again, i know the easy fix is to put the phone away or in airplane mode but im still intrestet to hear your ideas.

Thanks 

Alex

Hi and welcome!

I had to double check for gsm buzz but after hearing the sample from your link it definitely is familiar although I've only suffered from it with PC speakers.

So, what do PC speakers and a bass guitar with active electronics have in common? The answer is simple: Both have a (pre)amp and a speaker. And since the buzz with PC speakers happens only near the one with the amp and not near the satellite speaker it's the (pre)amp that picks up the signal from the activating phone. Obviously the shielding isn't good enough for such a relatively strong signal at a short distance, but is the problem in your bass or in your phone?

Guess your other guitars and basses use passive circuits. Artec is a reputable Korean manufacturer who make stuff for a number of big names so I wouldn't immediately blame poor quality despite the price being low.

As for easy fixes, try different pockets. Just some 10 cm can make a big difference so moving the phone from your right front pocket to the left rear may solve the problem.

• Thanks 1

I know the symptom. Happens sometimes. I've never bothered figuring out whether it is one of the guitars, a certain pedal or certain amp that picks up the buzz. It is so rare that I've just moved the phone further away and haven't thought more about it. I guess I should isolate the problem next time it happens.