Double necks

Matia

Hey!

When making a double neck guitar lets say you were doing a neck with a standard six string and one with a seven string... Does this make any difference to the requirements of the truss rods in either neck? As in are they treated as completely seperate necks or would they needed to be each compensated for? Also would the body require any special reinforcing and would it be better to go for a thru neck or bolt on neck? I've just got a chunk of Mahogany cheap from a local saw mill which would be big enough to use for a project in the future. But the actual building of a double neck I'm not sure on the technical implications really. Also when building a seven string is there really any difference required in the truss rod ( as in stronger ) due to the extra string?

I just thought I'd ask the question first and do a bit of research! Before I manage to stuff the whole thing up!

haha!

:D

Nope nothing different about the truss rod's.

As far as the body goes it's all in your design, nothing really out of the ordinary other than twice the hardware and almost 1/2 again the amount of wood :D

Any idea's what kind of body shape your going after or are you just in the research phase still?

Nope nothing different about the truss rod's.

As far as the body goes it's all in your design, nothing really out of the ordinary other than twice the hardware and almost 1/2 again the amount of wood B)

Any idea's what kind of body shape your going after or are you just in the research phase still?

I'm still researching at the moment brian. But the wood I have is really nice so I'd like to have a natural finish to it I know that. The only other thing I know is that its not going to be another jem copy. I'd prefer fixed tailpieces on this one but still one a six and one a seven shooter. So I'm open to suggestions really... Has anyone seen a really nice doubleneck out there to get inspired from?

as I say I'm looking for a really natural finish all round really including using two tones of wood for the neck and inlays... maybe using some marketry skills... hmm anyways suggestions always welcome by all!

Cheers!@

:D