Tone Tapping

i have just been reading internet articles on violins. i don't plan to build one, well may be in the future, i am just interested in them. anyway, a few weeks ago i believe someone posted a topic saying it was an absurd wasy of judgind tone. contrary to this, i found this article: Science and the Stradivarius

and it says:

Build quality: how to make a good violin

So how do skilled violin makers optimize the tone of an instrument during the construction process? They begin by selecting a wood of the highest possible quality for the front and back plates, which they test by tapping with a hammer and judging how well it "rings".

It can be considered obsurd for a solidbody, but I believe in it for anything with an acoustic top, like a jazzbox, violin, dreadnaught, etc. But maybe not a 335 with the center block. What is obsurd is to listen for a resonant frequency. Because it's not the resonant freq inherent in the wood itself, but rather the size of the piece. Like slowly emptying a glass of water while tapping it, the resonant frequency will change as you carve the body. So a body blank's freq means nothing. Now, you might tap out blanks to hear the decay. If one makes a hard knock with no decay while the other rings out for 200ms, then you've found something "in the tree" that will carry over regardless of the size or shape.