setup problems

Ok I am in the final setup:

I dressed the fret, trying to l level them as best as possible, still I have problems with the second fret, the more i lower it fileing , and the more the note before does not play clean, what is best to do, keep trying to level it down?

I wired my hum ( first time ever) the diagram is corret, i get the sound, but its' low volume and a lot of buzzing going on, I wired the shield on the bridge, but if i touch the strings it makes noise.

I have 2 hum , 2 x 500k pots , and a on-on switch ( I know i should have put a 3 way switch probably ) do I need any capacitors ( I think that is the way its spelled in english.....) .?

:D

Not being able to see how you have wired things I can't tell you exactly what is wrong with you're pick-ups but from what you have described you need to look at the shield or ground side of your wiring starting at the "ring" side of the output jack and work back into the electronics. It sounds as though the pickup ground is not connected to the output jack ground. Hence the noise when you touch the strings. Look for a solder joint that isn't good (a cold solder joint)... Hope this give you a starting point. As far as a capacitor, you should have a .02uf cap in the tone control circuit but nowhere else.

Rubin

thanks for the tips, at the moment i did not wire the tone control, so its just the volume pod connected.

I tried to combine differently the jack wireing (inverting the wires) but same results in a background buzz.

The only funny thing is that i tried to bridge the two poles of the jack with a metal Diapason, and i could hear the guitar without the buzz, so i guess it's all a matter of the ground shielding, maybe the wire that connects to the bridge ferrule is not connected properly..... tomorrow I may bring it to a guy I know that has knolege in electronics, and see what he says.

thanks for your help :-)

First off, I have no idea what tools you are currently using to try to level the frets, but somethings not right when your leveling them and have the kinda problem your describing. It sounds like your not leveling the 1st fret somehow. I would highly recommend you buying the Stew Mac 16" Fret Leveler with various Stikit 3M Sandpaper. It's not the cheapest way, but works really great. Also you should be marking the tops of the frets with magic marker so you can see when all of them are level or what area needs the most work. You can also get a bad buzz sound if the fret has been leveled without recrowning them, since the frets will be flat you will want to use files to reastablish the crown of each fret.

Your electronic problem more than likely has to do with shielding problems. Check out this webpage on shielding a Statocaster it can be applied to shielding any other guitar also.

I am using a flat file for levelling frets bought from Stewmac, and I am crowning them with really small file set (always stewmac) and a light run with 400 grit sandpaper . I have been trying various times now, but still having trouble in the ( 1 to 6 fret zone), I'll try that magic marker tip, and see how things work.

It's defenetly a shielding problem, reading from that useful site, the description is that, so I'll look out for that as soon as I dress properlythe fretboard.

Ok, solved the buzz problem of the shielding, I messed up one of the wire connections on the stereo jack....sounds cool now :-)

I tried again levelling, and things are getting better, but I will bring it to a guy I know , he used to build them, and se if it's a fret problem , or maybe I need to angle more the neck.....

After all that fret levelling and dressing did you check the neck with a straightedge? When you are sure all the frets are level you should then adjust your truss rod for the proper neck relief. I have a hunch that is why a few frets are bottoming out. The finished neck (after truss rod adjustment) should have a very slight bow in it so strings will clear the frets when pressed down.