Resin inlay test

Mahelcaya

Thanks guys !

I am not really so happy with it, mostly cause there is some bleding in the grain , and I did not really do a great job routing the sides straight....it was ment to be a present for my aunt and uncle in US ( it's not a fretboard , just a little thin square board cut from a rosewood future fretboard ! ), dunno if i'll give it to them yet....not too satisfide about it.

The alluminium is for metallic paint blend i guess, the guy at the shop did not say much about it, but seems to work fine. It has a really shiny effect when dry , but then when i sand it with 80 to 400 grit, and can't get it shiny that much. anyway it's always a good idea for some original inlay material..... !

- Little bit : i think i'll try some of that fluorescent powder from that RISK .....company. They sayd, in a inquiery email i sent them: that it should last 20 years ! (the glow effect )

I was told to blend 1 : 2 (catalizer) : cures quite hard if i dont put too much pigment paint in it, and I usually leave it 8 / 10 hours at least before sanding

but then when i sand it with 80 to 400 grit, and can't get it shiny that much...

After 400 grit you'll just be starting to get an even matte, You need to sand to at least 1500 and give it a good polish. It should shine up just fine.

I once read an article about making inlays by making a rubber mold, then pouring polyester into the mold, then the inlays pop right out.

When I was around 19, i had a real cheap acoustic, and did something like the "poured into the rout" like is shown on this thread. Used epoxy and got some bubbles, plus the color turned out a little ugly.

Just make sure you make ones like that cross deep enough that if there would ever be a fret-board hump where the inlay is, that the hump can be sanded down, without the inlay being sanded too thin.

Curtis : I finish the resin inlays with shellac, have not tried it on a fretboard.

Epoxy resin (in my case ) cures hard and for what I heard it will last a reeeeallyyy long time, so no worries abot that. The only thing I mentioned before, is that if u blend in a lot of color paint , the inlay does not cure so hard, worked great in the case of "the cross" were there is only resin and alluminium powder, it's really hard ..... so just do not exagerate with the white paint . I think I used in the black inlay, about 10 % of paint. OH and do some test on scrap before, don't forget to seal well the grain before routing, to avoid the horrible bleading , like in my case