Digitech Whammy Pedal

Biohazard

On the Kurzweil K25/26 series keyboards the player controll has 1 mod wheel, 1 spring loaded pitch wheel and a 3" x 1" pitch strip with after touch MIDI controllers. I can provide the schematics for this section but you would have to slightly modify this circuit to work. Just make sure you don't mass produce this circuit and sell it (copyright infringements).

After thinking about my earlier post on this thread I don't think the MIDI wheels would be very practical to control real-time effects. It would be tough to use while playing. It would still be cool for lighting control though.

If you have trouble with finding the pitch strip PM me and I can get you one for a reasonable price. It has an adhesive back and I could even look into a plastic bezel for it but something outta wood would be cool. B)

You would have to redesign the circuit to have only the pitch strip but you could even make it pressure sensitive so you can have 2 MIDI signals from 1 pitch strip. The only Scanner microprocessor that I know of for this circuit would be the M37451 IC (Motorola?) but it seems like it would be more power than is needed in this situation. You'd have to research this thoroughly. :D

Cool, thanks very much VanKirk, could you email me and give me more details and where to research, and maybe send the schematics. There are some parts of what you just posted I might need you to re explain but I will tell you what they are in a reply to the email you send me. Thanks again. :D

Cool, thanks very much VanKirk, could you email me and give me more details and where to research, and maybe send the schematics. There are some parts of what you just posted I might need you to re explain but I will tell you what they are in a reply to the email you send me. Thanks again. :D

What your asking takes time and knowledge. People pay an Electronic Engineer alot of money to design circuitry. What your wanting can be done without an Engineering degree but a basic understanding of electronics is a start.

Not meaning to shoot you down but what you need to do is take an electronics course. I'd recommend a local tech college like ITT tech.

I've found the more seemingly cool ideas for wiring guitars always takes me back full circle to what's already been done for many years. I like to keep it simple for my simple mind.

If you look around on the net you should find alot of cool ideas, schematics and prebuilt circuits kits. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bio, have you made any progress with this? I've been interested in doing something along these lines for ages, I always fancied a Steinberger Transtrem, but they're expensive & fiddly so I'm looking at using the Whammy controlled from the guitar. Matt B's Mansons are full of great ideas and made me think about this again. Looks like you're trying to go for the full set of mods? One thing that might be relevent is that Matt uses the Roland Hex pickup so has a 13 pin multicore cable coming out of the guitar already, in fact one of the pins (no.9) in the Roland setup is unused, so that could be sending a control voltage out of the guitar via the ribbon controller (he may just be using the Synth Volume pin 8 as the controller). You need to mod the vg88 to extract this voltage & send it to a circuit which can convert this into MIDI controller messages (see http://tomscarff.tripod.com/anal2midi/****...to_midi_out.htm or http://www.doepfer.de/pe.htm for examples). However, I suspect that controlling a whammy over MIDI might generate a fair bit of zipper noise (MIDI controllers only have a range of 128 steps so instead of hearing a clean sweep you can sometimes hear the signal "stepping" through its settings) but haven't tried so can't say for sure.

Anyone else tried doing this?

Hi, thanks for that input, I haven't made progress with this unfortunately, I wasn't actually intending to use the Roland midi pickup. Just make a controller that goes into a micro processor that does the MIDI conversion or whatever needs done. Would it be possible to convert the normal magnetic pickups to midi or would you have to use a midi pickup to use a controller. It's proving a hard task to do and i'm struggling as to where to start and where to go.

Sorry if the Roland bit was misleading there, this has nothing at all to do with MIDI pickups.

Basically, all you need to do, is buy one of the circuits in the above links and connect a ribbon controller to it instead of a normal pot (variable resistor). This will generate the MIDI controller signal to send to the Whammy.

What you have to decide first is where all the bits go & how to handle the extra wires between guitar & pedal. Either;

a) the ribbon controller is inside the guitar & the circuit is outside (you'll need to run 2/3 wires out from the guitar to circuit)

:D The circuit board (+ battery power) are inside the guitar (you need a MIDI output socket added to the guitar to connect to the Whammy MIDI input)

Hope that clears it up, I only mentioned the Roland bits because it means you can use the existing multiway cable to solve this part of the puzzle.