Nut sizes

My guitar neck is 2 inch, and thats what my wood teacher mesured from my guitar neck (washburn) and when i ordered the nut, it came as a 1 and 3/4, so i figured i would sell it to my friend and buy a 2 inch nut, but for kicks and giggles, i mesured my washburn neck, 1 and 3/4 inches, god, why do i trust my wood shop teacher??? he screws everything up!!

do they make a 2 inch nut? because i am supposed to be selling this 1 and 3/4 nut tommorow and his dad is driving me to the local music store cuz he needs strings and he said he would buy me the nut

Thanks

Curtis

Well from what i gathered from my tech... who is no longer my tech, he says that nuts come in a standard size and that you have to trim them down to a point where they'll fit what you're doing.

Unfortunately, i donno if that's true or not.

So now we got everyone measuring their nuts... B)

Its hard to replace with new nuts of the exact dimensions of the old one. I usually go down to the local "nut store", with one of my old nuts in hand, and look for the closest match. Then shave it until I'm satisfied. :D I bought a bone blank for a classical acoustic I own which measures about 2-1/16" long. To make it fit your Washburn would be relatively easy, just try to copy the old nut.