Need Wiring Help!

I have been trying to wire up a jackson standard configuration 2 hum with 2 seperate volume and 1 master tone control, and I seem to have run into a dead end. I followed a diagram carefully and all my connections seem fine, the volume knobs make the amp buzz more when all the way open and the pickups definitly react to contact with the strings. However no sound is coming out. I believe this has to do with the way the pickups are wired to the volume pots. The diagram seems to show 4 wires on the neck hum, 2 of which get soldered together, one gets grounded (which I have been assuming means going to the pots which go to the trem, and the other connects to the pot. I didn't solder the 2 together as it seemed moot to do so, and I connected both the other two to the pot (seems to me that is the same as grounding one and attaching the other. The other pickup is a Kramer pickup and only has 2 wires in the lead. The diagram shows 5 but I assume that it's no big deal. basically, I need to know what connection I am missing in this step and what needs to go to ground and where it should be going to ground. Anyone who has experience with wiring and has the patience to expalain it to a newbie, your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The diagram seems to show 4 wires on the neck hum, 2 of which get soldered together

Those should be isolated from the circuit all-together so coat the ends with electrical tape or dip-it.

one gets grounded (which I have been assuming means going to the pots which go to the trem, and the other connects to the pot.

Nothing wrong there just keep the wire your grounding on the same pot that the hot wire is going to from that particular pickup :D

I didn't solder the 2 together as it seemed moot to do so

Which two wires are we talking about here?

and I connected both the other two to the pot (seems to me that is the same as grounding one and attaching the other

That may be part of the problem probably since one goes to ground on the top but the other goes to one of the outside leg's on the pot.

The other pickup is a Kramer pickup and only has 2 wires in the lead

One wire to ground on the other volume pot and the other wire attached to a leg on that same pot