pickups

Biohazard

Hi, this is probably a really stupid question, but what exactly is the difference between coil tapped pickups and normal. And the difference between out of phase pickups and normal. I have never played with either so i'm not fully sure what tie difference in sound is like. Could anyone help me out here. Stupid question i know. thanks.

Hi, this is probably a really stupid question, but what exactly is the difference between coil tapped pickups and normal. And the difference between out of phase pickups and normal. I have never played with either so i'm not fully sure what tie difference in sound is like. Could anyone help me out here. Stupid question i know. thanks.

A coil tapped humbucker uses only one of the two coils, like a single coil (though a tapped humbucker won't sound exactly like a single coil).

Unscientific explanation (as always with me :D), but the waveforms from each coil do not 'line up' with each other (hence, out of phase) which results in certain frequencies being cancelled out. Usually an out of phase sound is thinner and funkier sounding. If you take a phaser pedal (or a flanger), but just freeze it in time instead of having it in motion, you'll have an idea of what out of phase pickups sound like.

Of course, if I'm talking out of my ass, just tell me and I'll edit my post to read "GregP talks out of his ass." ;-)