first project pics

Hi,

Yeah I'm gonna chamber it some more. I already made the cavities bigger than needed on the inside and I'll chamber the lower horn. Not sure wheter or not I should chamber the 'armrest' part since it might be tricky to do (gonna do the cutaway on the back lateron).

Whats the average weigt of a body? Im still not sure if I should try and bind it or just round the edges. Rounding -IMO- would be nice since it aint a thick top so you probably gonna see some of the light wood in the curve. On the other hand, I planned on doing a binding just to see how that works. Im not afraid to screw this one up as long as Ive learned something along the way B)

@MKGBASS, I just drew the templates in Adobe Illustrator (using the 'info' palette to make sure its accurate!) and exported them in DXF format. The lasercutthingie only had to convert the data once, took like half a second lol. Those parts fit like a dream. I also have the templates for a bold-on and i should be getting the pickup and cavity templates soon. I used MDF templated on this one. As for the 'where' part, a friend of mine did those for me (here in the Netherlands), and I only paid for the steel, not the machine or labour.

Speaking of templates, has anyone the correct measurements of a floydrose template-set. I don't mind ordering it from stewmac but I'm currently ordering my stuff in england and germany, and they dont have the clear templates.

TIA

JP :D

Ive done some more routing on the neckpocket, setting the angle and doing some testfits. Made some pics while i was at it... Here

How should I shape the 'belly cutout' or whatever the correct word is? Rasp, beltsander?

Seems stewmac didnt get my order that I faxed them :/ (or misplaced it somehow :D ) so now I dont have a trussrod. I have to re-order the parts and I might change the allen trussrod into a spokenut ( This One ) so I can adjust it rigt at the heel. I wont be using covers on the pups so that should give some clearance without moving the pup too far away from the neck... uhm... right?

TIA

JP

How should I shape the 'belly cutout' or whatever the correct word is? Rasp, beltsander?

Draw it on, and spokeshave it!

One thing I discovered when building my bass is that almost all back bevels follow the same formula the two ends are the high points of the top horn and curve, and the lowest middle point is just above where the neck pocket is (distance down from the edge) and about half way between the two ends. Do that arc, and a similar arc on the side, making sure the ends and the deepest parts are lined up correctly.

I was expecting the 'Draw it on, and spokeshave it!' answer, skibum, but problem is I cant really find one anywhere close to me. I know the US has plenty of sources but here (in .NL) they all tell me thats a 'tool from the past'. So far I'm out of luck and this is keeping me from completing my body :DB):D

anyway, what I did today was round the edges with a 10mm radius bit, I have a 14mm also and I tested that on a piece of scrap and it kinda made me think of my dinnertable so I took the 10.

just a few pics, no real update.

DSCN1168.JPG

... rounded edges

DSCN1169.JPG

the bitbearing rolled over the lower part of the body, leaving the extra deep cut unchanged. I kinda like it like that. I will smooth it later when i start sanding.

DSCN1172.JPG

same thing, better pic (kinda)

DSCN1174.JPG

the bellycut I cant complete. This is annoying so I will attack it tomorrow with a rasp and beltsander if I fail once more to get a spokeshave!

thats it.

Ok, the spokeshave was not an option since I couldnt lay my hands on one (during this weekend). I attacked it with my beltsander and some 60grit paper and it works great! Never thought it would go that fast either. I was done in like 15 minutes. Anyways, I took a pic while i was at it. It's a bit deeper now than when the pic was taken.

belly.jpg

Just a small question, not that I'm in the finishing stage or anything, but can I do the 'stain black and sand back' thing on oak too? Would it blur/bleed too much?

thanks,