Dean Markley Signature Bass string?

projectgongshow

Hey what you bass players think of these strings, they start the windings after the bridge, are very sharp but dont last long and cost 50 bucks canadain for a five string set.

Just wondering who all uses them.

Also what the hell are flatwounds, I have used stainless rotos that wreck frets and nickle d'darrios that are my main thing, but never played on flatwounds?

Please someone expain what they are, what they do(sound like) what there good for? Probably not good for metal?

:DB)

i havent played dean markley bass strings, but im happy wiht dean markley guitar strings.

Also what the hell are flatwounds, I have used stainless rotos that wreck frets and nickle d'darrios that are my main thing, but never played on flatwounds?

Please someone expain what they are, what they do(sound like) what there good for? Probably not good for metal?

Flatwounds have the outer wire flattened before it is wound around the inner core wire. They are smooth on the outside and deliver a lower, fatter tone compared to roundwounds. I believe most rock and metal players use them because of the deeper tone. I have flats on 2 of my basses and rounds or half rounds on the rest. I use the flats for blues and most rock except when I play stuff like Rush (I should say when I TRY to play Rush!) or jazz when I want a snappier tone. The flats are on the two "tone monster" basses that already deliver heavy fat tone (Les Paul Bass and one P Bass that is set up for low tone). The rounds & half rounds are on my Jazz basses and my Grind.

They also make "half rounds" which have only half of the outer wrap wire flattened so you get a fairly smooth surface and still maintain some of the snap of the round wounds.

I would suggest trying the half rounds first if you're planning a change so you can get used to the feel and sound in an incremental step. Flatwounds are a little "slippery" on the fingers if you're used to rounds. I found myself making a lot of mistakes when I changed to flats. It took my fingers a week or two to get used to the slicker feel and my fingers kept falling off the string without getting a good pull. It's even worse when you're sweating!!

I tried flat wounds on an acoustic bass once but I personally didn't like it. The sound was too mushy for me. A lot of guys do play flats on acoustics, I just happen to prefer the standard bronze round wound sound on mine.

I hope that helps and is not too confusing....I had a few malt beverages before I wrote this... :D