Anyone have a Boss GT-6 ?

Jivin

Im ready to get one, however just a few things.

This would be my first major effects upgrade, since im still using a little zoom unit. Im aware that i may be sacraficing a bit going for a multifx unit and im happy to accept that, however, with the gt6 in particular...

from what ive seen/read, the compression/sustainer stuff on it are controlled by a footswitch that appears to be used for lots of other effects too... does that limit the ways in which you can use the compression? can you use compression with any other effects in the 'FX-1' area in the same patch?

Also, any comments on the capabilities of the inbuilt distortions? In regards to a nice crunchy metal sound? I am willing to spend as much time as needed to get my sound out of it, i would just like to get some opinions on its capabilities. ditto for the wah too.

Ive chosen this over the me-50 too incidentally. Mainly becuase i can connect the gt6 to my computer and have found software to edit patches ect ect, and also because i wasnt impressed by the me-50's tone presets... i prefer the full preamp section of the gt6

any help would be appreciated!

thanks

- Dan

I think im actually going to not get the GT6 anymore B)

After some consolidation on what i actually want, ive decided to get rid of the fluff and just get the pedals i think i want, and then work up from there as the years go on, even if it iis more expensive.

So far ive decided on getting Distortion, Compression, Equalizer, Tuner and Wah

For the distortion, im definitely going the Boss MT-2. For Compression, the Boss CS-3. For Equalizer, the Boss GE-7. I was after a stompbox style tuner, and i found a Boss one (:D), the TU-2.

For Wah, im a bit unsure. Firstly whether or not to go an autowah or a 'proper' wahwah pedal - im leaning towards the Dunlow Crybaby WahWah with the wah shaping dial on the side, however thats really the only one ive tried, so although i liked it, any suggesions would be appreciated. Same goes with all the pedals im leaning towards listed above. I know effects are a bit of a personal thing but some input as to what you guys all use and to what effect you use them would be great!

Im also not 100% sure i need a compression pedal either, i personally didnt notice all that much difference with it? :D My little zoom thing didnt have any compression that i could control, if any at all.

- Dan

ps: someone help! :D now that its not just related to the GT6 most of you should be able to at least give me some input on waht effects setup you have and how you use it :D

edit - omg! http://www.music123.com/Snarling-Dogs-Wond...2-i126893.music

that looks so funky B) i wish somewhere local to me had them for me to try out

buy seperate effects pedals unless you are going for some sort of big multi FX rack type jobbie. if you dont have enough cash to buy some of the FX you want, build them. fun, enjoyable and cheaper

I have a GT6 and yes you can combine all of the effects available.

You can use auto wah, or you can assign your wah to the pedal.

The combinations you can create are incredible.

I've used other multi effects in the past (a lot) but nothing like the GT6.

If you ask me, the GT6 is well worth the money i've spend on it

Thanks joris, but what sort of stuff do you do with it?

Ive heard its a bit lacking in the distortion department, and thats very important to me. Ive also read and seen for myself that a lot of the changes are done with the little plastic dial up thte top. People have brought up the fact that if that goes your sort of stuck :D

And ive gotta keep stuff like that in mind since im ordering from overseas. What comments do you have to make on that?

Thanks again

- Dan

It's correct. You need to do a lot of settings with the dial wheel.

I'll check this evening if there is a way arround this.

I don't think the dial wheel will break down that easily.

I have a Boss DR-5 for several years now and the dial wheel is

still working perfect.

As for the distortion, I don't realy know. It sounds ok to me.

You can make a lot of combinations here.

Distortions is one thing, but you can start playing arround with different

pre-amps, speakertypes, distortion type, all giving you a different sound.

You have a lot of preconfigured sounds in the GT6, but once you get to

know the GT6, you just end up making your own sounds.

I realy rocks for me.

I think there's a way arround the dial wheel, but I'll keep you posted on this one.

Jivin, are you sure you have to order it overseas? We have the European Boss center here in Belgium. If you just give me the country you are living in, i'll give those guys a call and have them check if there's no supplier in your neighbourhood.

there is a supplier in my area (north brisbane, austrlalia)

but its expensive as :D

im not sure why - even with the australian dollar being so good at the moment, it still costs me easily double what i can get stuff from the US at.

Im aware of the risks, and im willing to take them if i can save this much money (my auntie is bringing stuff back) for me when she comes back, and her fiance over there can test suff for me cause he is a guitar nut.

so yeah, its not a big issue (the dial), but i was just meaning, to help safeguard myself against breakdown issues whereever its possible :D

your making it hard for me to choose between the single pedals and GT6 though joris :D I suppose teh GT6 is appealing cause it has so many more effects, and because it has the ability to go from one sound to a completely different sound in the push of one button, whereas with the individual pedals im assuming i could only change 1 thing at at time? eg: i can turn on/off my preset distortion on my MT2? Thats the jist ive gotten from trying them out anyway.

but all the extra effects on the gt6 just seem like fluff to a certain extent for me.. just not sure if i would be better served getting the quality individual pedals for what i know i want, andjust build on it later?

also - do i really need compression if im not _seriously_ recording or gigging? Is it that important? cause like i said, ive barely ever used compression before?

Summarise

Basically its either:

Boss MT2, CS3 Compressor, GE7 Equalizer, TU2 Tuner, Snarling Dog Wonder Wah 3, Powered Pedalboard

or

GT-6 + GT6 gig bag

both are about the same price. one other thing, what about chaininng the single pedals? am i likely to start getting signal deterioration? or extra noise? does that mean i will need to look into a noise suppressor or something in the future if i add more pedals?

sheesh :D talk about confusing! almost makes me just wanna get the gt6 for the simplicity of it B) then again, in use, it sounds like the isngle pedals are simpler!

If you chain them in a propper way, you should be ok.

As long as all jacks stay clean and you use quality material I see no problem.

The only thing you have to keep in mind is that the sound can change depending on the order in which you chain the different effects.

For example, chaining the distortion before the wah, gives a different sound than chainging the wah before the distortion.

In the first the wah's input signal is a distorted one, in the second the distortion input is a wah wave. It can really effect the sound.

If you use pedals in a chain, it is hard to change this order while playing.

Using a GT-6 you just create sounds and program the order you want the effects to be in. Depending on the sound and the effect you want, you can just change is arround as you are playing.

The GT-6 has 15 distortion/overdrive modeling types and 5 Wah modeling types.

Combine this with all the other features and You will be suprised what sounds you can create.

it's just a question of personal choice. I decided to buy the GT-6 because it has all the effects. I knew what is was going to cost me but also even if I didn't use all these effects at this moment, the day I decided to try them out, it wasn't going to cost me any more money.

Don't want to make it any more difficult for you to decide, but if the price is the same, I would certainly go for the GT-6

Thanks a lot for your help joris

just a few more things if you dont mind though :D

Basically.. im just worried because obviously the GT6 is considerably cheaper than all the single pedals of the effects it sports right? well if the quality of those effects (namely the wah and distortions.. the others im not so concerned about) has decreased so that it can be so cheap, then i would rather ONLY get the bare essentials in single pedals and skip the other effects that come in the GT-6. Can you ease my mind at all with that worry? B)

Also, you said you can link up effects from the FX-1/2 sections? Well ive read in reviews that you cant link multiple effects from any one of those sections? (Eg: 2 effects from FX-1 in the same patch). Can you comment on this?

btw, i found a great resource on the gt6, http://www.bossgtcentral.com/gt6.php

- Dan

I have a question about the GT-6 distortion:

I bought a GT-5 (I think) a few years ago before the GT-6 was out. I brought it home and tried it out in more detail than the store. No matter what distortion sound I tried, they all sounded quite horrible. Worse than a pedal. I took it back the next day - I felt sick spending $400 on something that sounded worse than a cheap pedal. The clean sounds were pretty good - but for lead playing - it was worthless to me.

I assummed that the distortion was all digital. Is that true with the GT-6 (or GT-5)? I have another old Yamaha FX500 that has digital distortion and it also is horrible (the clean stuff is amazing on it though). That's what has got me believeing that digital distortion is not worth a penny. I'm now using a TC Electronic G-Major (no distortion in it), with my Marshall amp (tube preamp) and the combination is excellent.

So, does anyone know what the deal is with the distortion on these units?