Sustainer Ideas

psw

Yeah...I have some parts and stuff and I figured it might be an idea to let some of the circuits out even if only in limited hand built quantities. The design would still remain "secret" but I would test them so that takes a lot of the circuit problems and building the thing out of the equation...

There is still the problem of the coil and switching things though...getting the right wire and all...but people seem to get really hung up on the circuit where as it is the driver that is really doing the business. However...can't make a driver work if the circuit is faulty!

The F/R...even the firedrive...will distort, there is no getting around that...any amp running to its max output is going to distort...especially limited by battery power. It is running to it's limits...that is why adding the components to help prevent oscillation (squeal) is important and what my suggested mods are intended to do...

The jazzstrat looks interesting. How about a mechanism similar to a capo with an overcentre hinge and a screw to adjust the position is flips to?

I added some more info on this idea and some clips at that the guitar thread (link now in signature below)...

I am not sure how you mean...If you mean a capo that only stops selected strings letting others ring through to the nut...

This idea is not really the same...it will provide open strings in an open tuning...but the rest of the fretboard will still be standard tuning...

This morning I was thinking though that perhaps the mechanism needs to be on the peghead end...have a look at some of the ideas that have been used on the other thread...

Pics might help get a better idea especially of the driver...you should be able to get some sustain happening if the circuit is working...but take it one step at a time and concentrate on getting a response in test mode before getting carried away modifying the guitar or getting the switching details down...that comes later when you have something to switch...!

pete

Just a quick post, I have sustain!!! Found a split in my first coil, unwrapped a loop of wire of the coil and soldered it up and it only flippin works! Just got the coil sat on top of the neck humbucker, normal and harmonic mode seem to work ok. Only had a little play with it, off out into the sunshine now but totally stoked that it works, can't wait to get back and fiddle with it more!

The distortion in the circuit is actually quite nice, with the gain pot connected to the 386 it goes from cleanish sustain to full on screaming feedback. Added extra trims to the preamp so I can adjust the input resistor and the source resistor, got a 10K trim in this position, seems to help with setting the bias on the J201, just working by ear and tweaking this and the drain resistor to get the best sound.

More report and hopefully some pics and diagrams to come probably tomorrow, but just want to say a quick thanks to Pete, MRJ and everyone else who's put work into this project-THANKS!

Just a quick post, I have sustain!!! Found a split in my first coil, unwrapped a loop of wire of the coil and soldered it up and it only flippin works!

And that is why I keep at it with this thread...

...thanks for the great post and for persevering with it...

This project is trickier than it seems but there is so much to learn from it and once you get the thing going it always seems like magic...or is it relief!

Too Right Mate :D ...Yes we want to see pics and details and for you to stick around and lend a hand so others can do what you have done...

Thanks again...time for us down here to get some shut eye...

pete

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this massive sustainer thread on and off for a few years now. I was bit with the sustainer bug back in the 90's, and tried to get a guitar with one in it. Being left-handed, that was not easy. Very long story short, I managed to buy a floyd rose sustainer system brand new, and built a guitar to put it in. All went well, but the neck pickup/sustainer driver wouldn't work as a normal pickup when the sustainer was off. I lived with this for a while, and eventually I contacted Floyd Rose. They put me in touch with Rick Knotts, who was the primary person developing the Floyd sustainer, and primary patent holder. Among other info (like how to calibrate it), he said my problem was with the transformer (so that's what it does!), and if re-orienting it didn't fix the problem (it didn't) he would mail me replacement one if I liked. The transformer on the circuit board didn't have any markings on it, so I couldn't just order another one from Mouser or whomever. I then tried to get back in touch with him, but according to floyd rose, he left the company to go on tour again with his band, and took all of the technical info for the sustainer and patents with him! I tried chasing him down, but no luck.

Which leads me here. I'm desperately trying to figure out the value of the transformer, and hope maybe one of you knows this. Captain Strat posted a photo of a nearly identical circuit board, with the transformer markings, but it was too small to read. Doh! So, if anyone knows the value of that transformer, I'd be infinitely grateful for that info! This is the same sustainer as the ones in Jackson guitars (such as the Phil Collen model) and the newer Kramer sustainers. I really like how nicely the Floyd sustainer works, and would be even happier if the neck pickup worked!

Since you all are sustainer nuts, I figure you'd like some of these photos and text about the Floyd Rose Sustainer:

Here's the top and bottom of the circuit board (the faulty transformer is yellow, on the left):

top-of-board.jpg

bottom-of-board.jpg

Here's CaptainStrat's photo of the similar board:

f875_1b.jpg

Here's the wiring diagram that was provided (hand drawn):

FRS-wiring-diagram.jpg

Here's some info on calibration that Rick provided:

The four pins not specified in the diagram: For changing the load on the bridge pickup.  The difference is subtle.  Check the sound of the bridge pickup with sustainer switched on and then off.  Use the guitar chord you would normally use.  If the sound is very close to the same, you can ignore the pins.  If you hear a difference not to your liking, try jumping 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 (numbered consecutively).

The trim pots:  One is for sensitivity and the other is for output.  Turn the

output and sensitivity all the way up, then back off until the uncontrolled

feedback ceases.  You will then have the highest possible output.  You then

back the sensitivity down to whatever level you prefer based on touch.

Set the height of the driver as close to the strings as you can for the

best driver performance.

I've posted some more info with these links:

Back rout info

Top route info

Kramer's sustainer manual

Kramer's 80's sustainer manual

Some patent info

another patent

PSW, I'm definitely interested in one of your sustainers when you make one commercially available! Again, if any of you know the value of that transformer, let me know!

That's some great photo's...that should help a lot!

I wonder if captain strat is around...have you tried emailing or PMing him (most likely would get an email notification) to see if he can give you a better clue on those numbers...

Otherwise, some very nice photos showing the chip numbers on the board there...the top chip is a standard quad op-amp TL074...the other a similar Jfet input op-amp low power version...interesting. Looks like it is running the poweramp from a push-pull transistor stage out of that near the blue trim pot... Like mine I see they use a 4pdt switch to turn it on...the harmonic though is a simple spdt which is also interesting. There seems to be bits specificed in the circuits to do with phase compensation that is missing (circuits in patents are often not what is in a product)...

The transformer has always been a mystery component...it has always tended to be associated with using the driver as a pickup...maybe as a means of isolation to avoid clicking or EMI...

The colour is also a clue...some transformers like this are colour coded. I don't know if this exact format of PCB mounted transformer is commonly available either...though small transformers like this are common enough. The value and ratios is tricky...it might be necessary to attempt some readings from it to see where it stands...

One of the problems with these early designs also seem to be the need to run them from two batteries...it maybe they needed to get the clean headroom that two batteries could afford...

As for my own circuit...desperate times call for desperate measures...

I have decided to build a limited number of my fireDrive circuits and am even contemplating making some coils or basic drivers as I did for the tele. Obviously...these are hand built and I will need to do costing, similarly, drivers can take a bit of doing especially if I need to reinvent it for a particular guitar...generally I have been modifying strat neck pickups...this is something that may be more possible...

One advantage to the project is that the circuit and other things may get a boost in development before committing to any big outlay in manufacturing and perhaps the circuit could be tweaked a bit more before it goes to that stage if more people use it...

However...as always...health and sanity must prevail. I am hopefully reaching the end of a very long battle (over twelve months) which has taken a substantial toll on me personally and so such things have had to take a back seat. While it may be settled, money will be tight but I will perhaps have some time and this could be good therapy...so...I have already made some preparations in the workroom to do a "production run" and was thinking in terms of batches of ten, first in first served...and on the circuit alone.

It should be noted that these circuits are designed to work with a typical 8 ohm driver of the type generally built here...other designs may also work as well. Running a floyd or fernandes or whatever driver, is unlikely to be possible as it is a slightly different approach...

The circuit is very small though...about 37x22x10mm but has 10 wires coming from it and requires a 1k pot, 4pdt on off switch, dpdt harmonic switch and a suitable driver to make it work. However, it does solve the "circuit" problem and I intend to set up my test guitar and plug in each circuit to be sure that it does in fact work!

Costing though will take a little time to assess though...some components are expensive and hard to get and the circuits are hand engraved not printed...however, the australian dollar is consistently lower than the USA and similar economies and the post is pretty good...so I dare say it will work. At least, ten of them would be snapped up and that's better than nothing! Who knows, I might get really fast at these things and it will be worth the while making them more often...

As for drivers...If I were to make some...what kind of things would people want? One of the easiest approaches may be to adapt a whole neck pickup here for a strat...of course then you'd need to pay for the entire neck pickup...it is possible that something like the tele thing could be made also.

Potentially...my new ultra thin adaption coils could be made also....these may take a little more work to adapt on your end, but that was the direction things were going in last I was working in this direction...

Hope all are well...or at least feeling better than me lately...

pete

Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling the best, PSW. I'm glad you are reaching the end of the battle though!

I did PM captainstrat back around March, but he never replied, and stopped posting. I may try again. The interesting part about the transformer is that absolutely no sound comes out of the neck pickup, so I would venture a guess that it's doing some form of rectification. Also, the driver has a large metal shield on the side facing the bridge; presumably to shield from noise. Not only is this design 18V, but it eats batteries relatively quickly. I've been contemplating moving over to a rechargeable scenario for that. Also of interest, while the sustainer is on, when I change the settings of the pickup switch, the sound does change; but not so much like changing pickups. There is a point in one of the patents I mention that does talk about transformer, but it has been a long time since I've sat and read it all. I know it doesn't mention that value of said transformer.

I just finished building the F/R ,here it is :

f_P6200081214m_4dbf2e8.jpg

I didn't find the J201 so I tried to find one of the 2n4547 or MPF102 but no luck either :( ,so I used the BF245(the legs needed to be soldered the other way) which the guy at the store told me can it could replace the MPF102. The circuit works but with excessive Buzz ,I guess I'm experiencing the same problem with -MRJ. I'm not sure if it's because of the transistor I used or I did something else wrong. Well the search for the J201 continues and when I find it I'll try to build it again.

Hi there,

If you're looking for J201 log on to digitech.com or email me sooner I have thick catalog and will look it for you. email me @ freddydude@verizon.net

Thanks,

Freddy

heres one for you pete!

How about iinstead of mounting the driver on the guitar giving it a lead and being able to remove it and use it as an ebow.

if you see what I mean ?

Edited by joshvegas

Hi Josh...what you doing over here...is this payback for venturing out of the E-section this year :D don't start no lyric wars!!! (I'm trying to come down from my lonely life thread lyrical extravaganza...don' trigger something off you we'll all regret)

How about iinstead of mounting the driver on the guitar giving it a lead and being able to remove it and use it as an ebow.

Well...the big difference is that with an ebow...it has it's own pickup in it while the sustainer uses the signal from the guitar's bridge pickup...

This is exactly what I keep telling people that they must do to test their DIY system before even going anywhere near installing the thing. Wire it up and test it by holding the driver over the strings (upside down) well away from the other pickups...usually about the twelfth fret...to make sure it works!

However...no, this will not work as a practical performance tool. The neck pickup must be completely removed from the circuit for a start...so you would still need the bypassing thing. Then, if you should aim or move the driver too close to the bridge pickup you will get a very loud almighty squeal from it. Also...unlike an ebow...the sustainer driver is designed to drive all of the strings...it therefore puts out more power over a bigger area and is so more prone to such oscillation feedback...generally an uninstalled driver needs to be tested well away from the pickup...

Then there's the often neglected...why would you want to? The ebow is a self contained pickup/driver combination...so it does this thing pretty well (on one string at a time) and without all these modifications. However, it means dropping the pick and using it on it's own...generally only with the neck pickup...on one string at a time. If that's what you want from it, then that's what you should get, build, or buy. By holding it in your hand like an ebow...despite the technical problems...you get the drawbacks of the ebow without any advantage in sound or performance!

It is a thought though...and it does bring home the point about testing peoples devices before getting carried away with the problems of switching and bypassing. Would be sustainerettes should note that even though I have been making these things for a long time now...I always test them. In fact...to make it easier...I have a cheap test guitar with no pickups, just a big cavity that I can wire things into and play it before transferring it or sending it over to a host guitar. With a couple of projects, it is the only way I can be absolutely sure that the thing functions (even pickup wiring) before it leaves my hands.

If I do these circuits for instance...likely I will be using this guitar with a driver to ensure they do in fact work for the job they were intended to do...something that may need also to be factored into the cost of them...hmmmm

pete

I have yet to work out postage, but it is pretty small so shouldn't be a problem.

The danger is that if people want a "system" or something that has all the things needed for their particular project short of me actually installing it (switches, pots, wiring, etc) is going to add a fair bit. On top of that, drivers tend to be pretty idiosyncratic so while I have developed a coil for strat neck pickup conversion...without the pickup I have found some may have problem fitting...

The only thing that I have made a commitment to is to make a small batch of the circuits that I use, but I am considering making drivers as well...but in many ways this will still be a DIY project. The advantage of buying the circuit is that at least you know that works and people will not need to develop skills in circuit making and such that seems to be tying them down. Also...I suspect the cost may be less or reasonable considering the investment in equipment and parts, to what it may cost people anyway to build as a one off.

Nothing definite as far as cost or time when I am going to do it...but it will be done. I will make a batch, and work out costs and such and we will take it from there. If they do alright and work well for people and there is some demand, I will consider another batch. Be aware though, that these things are hand built and some of the parts that are used are a little "exotic" and need to be ordered especially and so raises the cost. Mostly the design uses these things to save on space and in doing a bit of inventory here (ie cleaning up) I found I did have a stock of a lot of these harder to get parts handy...

Since so many are inquiring...I will attempt to get a start on the circuit boards today...how about that!

pete

Followers here will be pleased to know that I have started a batch of 12 circuits today. Starting is always the hardest part but I have cut and ground down the edges of the boards and am marking them up for engraving this very moment.

I have a bunch of the normal parts to build the things but I suspect some of the more exotic parts will need to be ordered or something...so there may be a few delays finishing them...but starting is the hardest part, got to get some enthusiasm up!

I tried a bunch of connectors in the past but nothing has worked out very well so the wires will be soldered to the boards as a multicolored ribbon cable to keep down costs and make it reliable. It should help also to explain connections if I keep the color codes consistent...

Better get back to it...but so far so good!

pete

That is great PSW!

I also have some news;

For those of you who want to build your own circuit until you can get PSW's (his is much better that DIY circuits), I have almost finished my prototype "Standardized DIY Sustainer Circuit". I, like PSW, have been wanting to get a design out there so people wouldn't keep getting hung up on circuit design when they embark on building a DIY sustainer. So with the expert help of PSW, I have tried to put together a simple circuit which will actually work right and get people started. It is a circuit similar to a Fetzer/Ruby, but it has been modded according to the original spec sheets for the chips and also by the suggestions PSW and others have contributed here over the years.

I only have to re-wire the test circuit back into my guitar's electronics, and then I can test it. If all goes well, I will put the schematic up here and let some other people try it out. It probably won't be the 'end all' circuit for you if you are really going for the commercial grade sound, or if you want to have precise control over how it responds while you play the guitar. But it will work, and it will hopefully be a great way to start out and gain experience in sustainers. (Note: Don't get this one confused with PSW's new circuit though -- his IS professional/commercial grade design, and I highly recommend it just on it's concept alone... and that's saying something since I have never personally played a guitar with it yet!)

Hey people. It's been about a year since I last posted here I think. I'd like to know how progress is and what quality the DIY sustainers are at. Any video/audio samples?

In the mean time I managed to get my hands on a 7 string fernandes sustainer and I had it built into my customised LTD SC-207: MY NEW GUITAR

Now I'd like a cheap sustainer for my cheap Bass and so I returned to this place :D

Hey r00key...long time...great to hear you found a 7 string sustainer...

If you look at the last few posts you'll see I am going to make some circuits available...but then, now you wnat a bass and no one has fully done one of those and the circuit would need to be changed to suit the low frequencies...more experimentation again...

As for sound clips...I recently built the latest version of mine which you can check out if you press the blue link in the signature below...and if you press the red one, you can hear a sound clip of the guitar...direct no amp and improvised. SHowing off the guitar and the sustainer but if you go to the build thread, you will see a run down of the pickup and sustainer settings. No distortion and clean...not even an amp (so not your style of play), but it gives you a bit of an idea...the driver is see through too and an interesting design...check it out!

MJS is working to make a more standard design of circuit that could perhaps be adapted to bass. I had been doing some experiments with the idea...but I'd need a lot more encouragement if I were going to do the work. I dare say though that it is getting a lot closer to an available 7 string sustainer...my circuit should work just as easily for that and I may even be making some drivers in the near future.

I cut and engraved the circuit boards, but I need to order a bunch of parts...I am aiming at twelve circuits to start with...so we will see how that goes...

great to hear your still around, gone but not forgotten...welcome back!

pete

Hey r00key...long time...great to hear you found a 7 string sustainer...

If you look at the last few posts you'll see I am going to make some circuits available...but then, now you wnat a bass and no one has fully done one of those and the circuit would need to be changed to suit the low frequencies...more experimentation again...

As for sound clips...I recently built the latest version of mine which you can check out if you press the blue link in the signature below...and if you press the red one, you can hear a sound clip of the guitar...direct no amp and improvised. SHowing off the guitar and the sustainer but if you go to the build thread, you will see a run down of the pickup and sustainer settings. No distortion and clean...not even an amp (so not your style of play), but it gives you a bit of an idea...the driver is see through too and an interesting design...check it out!

MJS is working to make a more standard design of circuit that could perhaps be adapted to bass. I had been doing some experiments with the idea...but I'd need a lot more encouragement if I were going to do the work. I dare say though that it is getting a lot closer to an available 7 string sustainer...my circuit should work just as easily for that and I may even be making some drivers in the near future.

I cut and engraved the circuit boards, but I need to order a bunch of parts...I am aiming at twelve circuits to start with...so we will see how that goes...

great to hear your still around, gone but not forgotten...welcome back!

pete

Cool pete! Sounds great! :D

BTW. I just read on the sustainiac site that they'll start making 7 string sustainiacs soon! This is great news. If one of my 7 stringer's sustainer breaks I won't have to search for a replacement.

Sustainiac also has bass sustainers. Which is a great option but seeing as my bass only cost €100 and the bass sustainiac costs over $200... i dunno, i'd rather have a DIY one :D

BTW. Does anyone here have experience with both Fernandes sustainers and Sustainiacs? If so, how do they compare?

• 2 weeks later...

Well...it's been very quiet here for the last month...what happened to all those ongoing projects :D

Meanwhile...I am going on a bit of a road trip and leaving today, so I hope that people are still interested as I did make up a dozen circuit boards and when I get back will get the rest of the parts and put them together...I hope there is still some interest...

I have had some inquiries about drivers, but I'll have to consider those kind of things on a case by case basis.

With any luck I will return a little more invigorated and ready to do this and a few other projects as well that are waiting in limbo...

Meanwhile, don't be shy 184000 views today, so people are still looking in...keen to get some feedback form people who just drop by out of interest...a few years I went away for a while and there was a little flurry of activity, so perhaps me being away might bring back the posters :D

Anyway...everyone take care and keep thinking and dreaming...

pete

Sorry I've been out so long. I really meant to make a more meaningful contribution to this thread, but grad school just keeps getting me down. In other news, this weekend I hope to make some progress on my sustainer and piezo pickup system (Pete, if you're still interested, I'll send some more info your way (it's been a good while since we talked about that (I really need to email you back (life's been horribly busy)))). My sustainer build has been plagued with problems and lack of time to investigate and fix them, so if you get some units up for sale, I'm definitely interested.

-G

That's right, a quadruple-nested sentence!

Hi there...just got back from a long fun trip...I will get around to some things in the near future I guess...

Meanwhile...I have some fabulous pics and stories to tell which will make it to the off topics section and possibly elsewhere...anyone interested in getting away, jaded by oncoming winter while summer here is coming, seeing bits of australia that doesn't involve deserts rocks or coral reefs, or might like to plan a super cheap escape in your own neck of the woods...or maybe like a bit of a yarn, I think I might be better served if I were to use my 1000 words per post on some of that...

As for sustainers...I still need to get the parts, but I have 12 circuit boards made up so that is definitely happening, anything more than that is up in the air a little while I assess the personal situation generally...

Anyone who may have emailed me lately may find it takes me a while or you may have to send it again in a couple of days as the inbox is full and outlook is freaking out!

pete

PS...anyone know about blogging or such, I might have a scheme...hmmmm

Hey people. It's been about a year since I last posted here I think. I'd like to know how progress is and what quality the DIY sustainers are at. Any video/audio samples?

In the mean time I managed to get my hands on a 7 string fernandes sustainer and I had it built into my customised LTD SC-207: MY NEW GUITAR

Now I'd like a cheap sustainer for my cheap Bass and so I returned to this place :D

hey i have one of those guitars and i love it to death!

i am seriously terrified of it dying on me - they're getting rather hard to find.

also, for some reason, the sustain works inconsistently on differnet strings.

All gone quite here...but some will be glad to know I went down to the parts shop and picked up almost enough parts to make up my dozen circuits and the boards are cut...so, if I get through my other house work...we might see some progress, maybe even a better picture of the things and some kind of pricing.

I kind of designed myself into a corner to make it compact and have to get a specific trim pot and exotic caps that push the price a little in these small numbers...still, it is probably worth it in the end to have the quality there.

Wiring is via color coded ribbon cable...people may need to add or cut off this stuff to requirements...not sure how long to make things, The circuit is designed with LED power, drive control (whcih can be optional but would require a 1k pot), battery, driver and signal wires...so ten wires coming off the circuit.

Other parts that might be required are

1k control pot

switch for on/off bypass...on a single pickup guitar anything would work...anything else probably would require a 4pdt switch

dpdt harmonic switch

Driver!!!!

Anyway...progress as always slow...but progress all the same...

pete

Hello PSW, and everyone else.

I have been inspired by this thread for about 3 weeks- and finally completed a sustainer for my 7 string. It works pretty decent for my first build, but I'm confused about a few things. I am not too handy when it comes to building or creating parts so my driver isn't the best looking, however as I said- it works.. well sort of..

Build:

- Ruby Amp (http://runoffgroove.com/ruby.html; It came out great!)

- Plexyglass top and bottom, steel blade core. (Not bad for my first try, but could be better)

- I wound the driver with 30g wire (good enough start for first build) but my Multimeter says almost NO resistance. I checked a pickup coil (just to test meter) and it had about 9-10ohms resistance. I didn't understand why this was but decided to test the driver anyway.

Results:

- In normal mode it works but my Low-B string likes to dominate the "signal".

- Reversing the phase of the driver, only the Low-B string works. Everything else seems to not be affected OR at times have less sustain (damping).

- The thinner the string, the less sustain it has.

Questions:

- Are my results due to poor driver design?

- Why do I have very little resistance but a driver full of wire?

- Because of the "damping" effect I wonder, how would you modify this to act as a damper? (As the Moog guitar does) Would it be to have a constant "input" rather than your mag input?

- Any suggestions on the next driver build? (How do I make it look and act professional?)

Thanks!!

-Brian

Hey there...welcome to sustainer land rocktheory/brian...

you might have the first 7 string version of this project...there is no reason at all why it shouldn't work just as well.

lets see...

pics would be good...and I might need a bit more information and specifications to help me out here. There is a lot of information and misinformation floating about in this enormous thread, and of course other related and even off site stuff...it just keeps growing...

ok...well, at least you are getting something out of it...so that's a good start..

- Ruby Amp (http://runoffgroove.com/ruby.html; It came out great!)

hmmm...but is it the fetzer/ruby? If you have powerful pickups the ruby may work, but you might like to adjust the output capacitor from the 220uF I think they specify down to as low as perhaps 100uF, which is what I use. This tends to give a better high string response and a harmonic bloom to low strings in normal mode...and better harmonic mode response...

I have been promising for some time to make my own circuit available...this is coming along and has some different features to the basic circuits being suggested...only 12 in the first batch...something to keep in mind, but would work with your driver and swap out eventually if you are so inclined.

- Plexyglass top and bottom, steel blade core. (Not bad for my first try, but could be better)

might need a pic and details...it needs to be glue potted and free of vibration...the wire needs to be 0.2mm wire...I don't know what that gauge is, but It doesn't sound quite right...check it...

Also...no mention of the magnets...again a pic and more detail helps...how thick is the plexi and how thick is the coil?

I checked a pickup coil (just to test meter) and it had about 9-10ohms resistance.

this sounds like the wrong setting on the multimeter...a pickups is probably 9-10 thousand ohms...whike the driver should be 7-8 ohms...that's a significant difference and may read as virtually nothing if set to read in the thousands...it must read something or it would have no effect at all.

- In normal mode it works but my Low-B string likes to dominate the "signal".

Always the low strings tend to dominate...you need good damping. The higher metal content and lower tension on the low strings makes it more easy to move. The circuit bias has an effect as can the driver and my tele has a predominant g string often...sometime the high B on lower notes.

- The thinner the string, the less sustain it has.

There are a few factors...some physical...it is harder to drive a skinny string at higher tension and frequency (speed of vibration)...but a poor driver can effect it...the wrong wire radically will effect it, if it works much at all.

- Are my results due to poor driver design?

got to see it...it must be close...

- Because of the "damping" effect I wonder, how would you modify this to act as a damper? (As the Moog guitar does) Would it be to have a constant "input" rather than your mag input?

there is no patent or hard data on the moog damping effect as far as I know...the moog is likely to require a lot of circuitry and likely six drivers working from the six individual piezo outs...it might also be using the piezos to sense string output and dampen others...it is very hard to tell from anything they have put out...I do know that it does require a lot of power from a separate box to actually work the guitar. Damping is not as simple obviously as reversing the signal...that's how we make the harmonic effect...so there are still some mysteries there...but this is a fairly simple but effective DIY version, and in many ways a different kind of effect...but then it doesn't cost $8K or whatever moog are charging...

- Any suggestions on the next driver build? (How do I make it look and act professional?)

Again...got to see it. The potential reservations are that the further away from the strings the coil is, the less drive you are going to get...as a result is that the thickness of the bobbins will force the coil further away...see the link in my sig to the telecaster project to see my most recent bobbinless design...but thin bobbins can work...post a pic through photobucket or something...don't be shy. The potting is important and with a wider coil, maybe a slightly thinner coil might be advisable also.

I'd try changing out that cap before scrapping the coil yet, see if that gives a better high string response...

anyway...hope that helps a bit...post again soon...others feel free to chip in with any tips.

pete :D