Greatest Composer

noviceluthier

Who is the greatest classical composer living or dead.  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeh. thats the one. Goes on for hours i know, but there's so much creativity in it.

I find a lot of "classical" music is in the understanding. Things often sound better if i know what the composer was getting at, or why things happen. I cant imagine myself writing anything quite that long. Jazz standards usually involve a head and chords (which usually follow the head).

Also as a kind of side track... bring on the wierd and wonderful stuff. B)

:D

I gotta call you on this one fizzy classical is an accepted term for all of theose composers Classical with the big C is not. :D

In any rate Im surprised to see Bach in a distant 4th place. He pioneered how western music approaches harmony. On top of that dude wrote some killer organ and harpsichord pieces that sound wonderfule on electric guitar! (tocatta and Fugue in D minor in particular) But I think it's safe to say anyone on that list is worth a listen

I'm going for Pachabel. In particular Cannon in D minor. My all time favorite piece of classical music (or maybe all time favorite piece of music).

It's also what my girfriend will be walking down the isle to at the wedding.

I voted "other" because I don't listen to very much classical music. I understand its cultural significance and the trials and tribulations that the greats have endured during their times. But there are lots of modern composers who have made their mark as well. We look at classical music from 100's of years ago the same way we look at great artistic masterpieces, ie. painting, sculpture etc. And its only considered "culturally significant" because of its age and the fact that its endured for so long. Perhaps a couple hundred years from now the works of Frank Zappa and Gentle Giant will be viewed in the same light. Their music is equally complicated and even more flexible, given the additional range of modern instruments and mixing technology, than anything produced by the other greats listed.

Bach all the way. He did so much for the music we hear today. He introduced the harmonic system nearly everything we hear today is based on AND he wrote many great pieces.

and truly,though i love chuck schindler,"human" was his only truly great work

That's a dangerous statement. I am huge Death fan and I like the symbolic album the most. Claiming that human was his only great work is no good idea. Maybe it's you favorite album, but it is DEFINATELY not the only great album he composed. All of his albums are way above most other death metal stuff in terms of songwriting and skill on the guitar & drums.

not one of the composers you listed comes close to bach, or beethoven!

Saw a really interesting TV documentary in the UK a few years back which suggested that Beethoven 'appropriated' many of his thems from French/german/Austrian etc folk tunes.

I still think he was a genius though - possibly my favourite, but it's too difficult a call to make for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Maestro, Symbolic is my favorite work too. It's one of the few albums I can listen to over and over again and it never gets old. All of their stuff is good though. I didn't like when Chuck formed Control Denied though, good music, but the singing ruined it for me, I need that good ol' Chuck Schuldiner growl.

I know of James Murphy, I can't wait for the Death tribute to come out (it's in benefit for James' medical bills.)

The greatest thing about Chuck is that I don't believe he ever truly died because he lives in every song he's ever written, every one I listen to for the billionth time sounds brand new. I love it. :D