painting/refinishing guitar.

Hey guys. I want to repaint my guitar. What do i need to do? Im assuming i need to take the finish off, then what? What kind of paint should i use? How should i take the finish off, how many coats? do i need to put laquer on it when im done? help me guys. please give me details! thanks guys, ill post back often hopefully you guys could guide me through the process. THanks.

yeah but the only thing, thats all staining or doing something fancy, like burning effect, i just want to know what you have to do to get a nice finished solid color. And i tried to the offsite tutorial but it confused me more then anything, can some please help me out?

Can i just use spray paint? and how many coats? and then do i need to put more laquer on it?

If you just want a solid color and don't have spray equipment, just go to Autozone or a similar auto parts store and pick up some Dupli-Color (or similar) in a spray can. They have pretty much any color you could want. That paint works very well, although remember to prime and then sand with a block to make sure you have a smooth surface. Don't assume you'll be able to make the finish smooth with clear, although you will want to get some for your top coat, same brand.

Of course if you have spray equipment then you can get any automotive paint you want...

As for stripping, if the finish is in fairly good shape, no peeling or anything, you can just sand it and scuff it with Scotchbrite and then paint. I wouldn't bother stripping unless the original finish is really bad.

After you're done painting, use the buffing and polishing tutorial that should be pinned at the top of the finishing forum.

There's really nothing to it, just be patient and don't try to rudh anything. Other than that, go wild and have fun.

for a solid color finish you have a color coat and a clear coat...

this is all covered in the links i gave you

really there is too much information to give you a complete tutorial in one post..it has already been done in the links i gave you...why post a huge tutorial for you when all the info is there for the reading

Wes is right, it would be better to read the tutorials for the full scoop... But to answer your question, treat each coat, starting with the primer, as your finished surface. In other words, make each layer as smooth as you can so the final coat will be smooth as well. It's tempting to see a little indentation or pock mark in your primer coat and just ignore it because you want to get it done, then when you put on your color and clear and do your buffing you see every little imperfection you didn't take the time to work out. You can get some of it out with more layers of clear, like if you had masked off a section and have a little cliff where the tape was, but don't count on that because some clears will settle into dents no matter how much you put on it seems like.

Lastly, primer can be your best friend. I realy like Dupli-Color's Filler Primer, as you can quickly smooth out little dents and scratches in the surface.

Good luck and don't think we aren't into giving helpful advice. Some of the veteran members get tired of the same old questions, but most of us are pretty friendly. :D