Binding Repair

Im working on a les paul custom that was in a fire. Due to the heat, a portion of the binding around the body has melted, and now has small little holes in it. Is there a quick fix for this, or somewhere i can buy binding for a les paul custom? thanks

Andrew Lowe

Like Rhoads said, pics would be nice. But if the binding actually got "cooked", that is, discolored, misshapen and malformed then you'd best replace it all, especially if its an expensive guitar. If its a dark colored binding and is not totally ruined, ie. just the small holes, you might be able to spot fill with superglue and then sand/polish those areas. If you need to replace the binding you can likely find the proper size and color you need here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim.html

its a gibson les paul custom, and the binding is the only visual mishap. the binding is white, so it really shows. however i have been unable to find the right size binding, as it is a custom lamination, and is thicker than most binding sizes. Stewmac doesn't have what i need.

I have a LP Custom, and my binding is 7-ply (w/b/w/b/w/b/W) the capital W is thick-white. You'll need to buy the individual 2-layer binding (w/b x 3 and W, or w/b x 2 and w/b/W), then laminate all the strips together. It is easiest to do it at the same time you're gluing it into the binding channel, so that it will bend easily around the curves. Just make sure you get the glue both into the channel and in between the layers. Hold it firm to the body with filament tape.

On the LP the nitro lacquer is also sprayed over the binding, so to make it look right you'll need to do some spraying and buffing. Given this, it is probably more straightforward to replace the entire binding.

the guitar is being refinished, its down the bare maple right now, and getting painted with black laquer. i would like to leave most of the binding as it is good shape, and LP binding seems quite hard to find. With that in mind, i was thinking of replacing the top lamination of the binding section as the rest of it is in good condition.