Plans for RG

why wouldn't you be able to? you get a chart for your scale length, and it'll give you a measurment for each fret. then just mark them off, measuring from the nut.

I'll try to explain it better. I know how to calculate scale length. I don't have a Floyd Rose though. I think that in theory, I would want the saddles on the bridge, when they are at the middlemost point of forwards and backwards travel (i.e. not adjusted for intonation) to be exactly 25.5" from the nut. I do not know where that point of saddle travel is in relation to the posts.

I think I explained that right.

Those templates should help. Isn't the seller of the templates a forum member?

with intonation, the string is always the same length as the scale. you arent moving it forward and backward, you are actually moving it up and down. get a measuring tape with a hard, stiff(*snickers*) edge and measure from the point that the nut cuts the string pitch and the exact point where the saddle cuts the pitch. the saddles control the highth of the string, not the distance from the nut.

actually, moving the string up and down is only adjusting the action.

the strings are not all exactly the same length. the nut is straight, so all the strings start out at the same point, but the saddles on the bridge are never perfectly aligned with each other. they're staggered a little bit. adjusting intonation adjusts how much they're staggered.

with intonation, the string is always the same length as the scale.

Not true. Due to stretching of the string when fretted, and other factors, The string must be longer than the scale length to intonate properly.

I don't want the string length. I know the unintonated string length. I would like to know how far the nut is from the neck joint.

ASCII drawing

headstock------------------------------------bridge

====================+++++++++++++++

---string

=neck

+body

I want to know the length of the neck. (the "=" segment)

use the fret calculator. i can't see a reason why it won't work.

if you take your fingerboard and measure out from the nut all the frets, won't you get a good idea of how long the neck is going to need to be? hint: the neck and fingerboard will end at the same point.

I don't know the point at which the strings break over the bridge though. That affects where the neck joint goes. If I have a 25.5" scale neck, and the bridge is 30" away from the nut, it won't intonate properly.

The templates should help sort it all out though. All is well.

Thanks guys.

Pickle,

I am in the same boat and downloaded those plans. The Jem777 has a 25.5 inch scale length. I printed out the plans and did some measurments. First, that plan is for a non-aanj, so youre ok there. I want an aanj, so I need to take that into consideration. Ok, so Im gonna build a 27'' scale baritone. With a 27' scale, the length to the 24th fret is 20.25''. The overall FB length will be 20.629 (this is the 24th fret distance plus the added FB distance so the board doesnt just end abruptly at the last fret, or a "dummy" 25th fret).

So, im gonna make the FB flush with the end of the neck, so therefore we have 20.629 inches of our scale used up, so we and subtract that from our scale length of 27'' and we have 6.371'' of body length to work with till we reach the string saddles, regardless of what kind of bridge. I plan on using a HipShot fixed bridge so I will route accordingly.

My plan is to basically route the neck pocket as per the diagram, but also route out the area in between the pocket and the neck humbucker. Therefore, the FB and neck are going to end right there where the neck humbucker begins, as on your typical Jem7. So from that point, to the string saddles, I will have 6.371'' to work with.

Since you dont want an AANJ, you dont need to modify the neck joint and pocket at all. The only things you would need to modify are the bridge location, and of course the pickup locations to accomdate this. After that, everything else is aesthic.

ohh, this is basically what ThePlague said - "hint: the neck and fingerboard will end at the same point. "

Also, howsabout we keep each other posted since we are basically doing the same thing...