inlay thickness

I use only .06 for almost everything. The depth helps keep things right under any potential curves and radii. For headstocks you can go as thin as .04. In the orient they go as thin as .02 for flat areas. It's harder to work though. I recommend staying at least .05 and higher for almost any quality inlay work.

You can use plastics. They work easier than shell, but need a little more in the polishing stages. I use about 50 or so materials in my work. Plastics, stone, shell, metals, fossil ivories, woods. Keep your mind open. As long as it's relatively hard, but cut-able, and sand-able, go for it!

Craig L

Craig, you are the person i most hoped would answer this query. Mucho thanks for your expery input. I am buying a micrometer and dremel in the AM, and wanted some cheap material that would look good to practice with.

I am going to try and replicate your tucan trus rod cover as my first practice attempt, just all with plastic.

Thanks again. :D

Your welcome.

Lets see what it looks like after it's done!

Good luck! :D

Craig