volume pot problems

truerussian558

ok this on my POS strat copy guitar, but i still want it to play nicely, ok so wheneve i play there is a very loud buzing noise, i know that some is supposed to happen, but theres an overly amount of it, also for some strange reason if i turn my volume pot to 10 the buzzing gets a lot quiter, should i replace the pot or something, or maybe rewire/reshield because their "shielding" is a bit of aluminum foil wherre the pots are. also for some reason turning the pot up oly helps in positions 2, and 4, but not the odd ones (single coils by themselves) what could i do to get rid of this noise

This is going to sound stupid, but make sure there aren't any extraneous wires touching the pot, especially the lugs. It could even be a glob of solder out of place, because it sounds to me like there's something bridging one of the lugs to the output. If they're cheap POS pots, just buy new ones and be done with it. :D

There's no reason for a Strat to be extremely noisy - sounds like you need to rewire the whole thing, shield the cavity and make sure you don't have any ground loops or phase reversals to let the noise crawl up towards the audio output rail. Have you been to John Atchley's Guitar Nuts wiring page? His Quieting the Beast tutorial goes through shielding and star-grounding a Strat step by step, with a tools and materials list and great illustrations and explanations along the way. It also includes the bridge isolation hookup that could save your life if you ever get shortd across an AC source. Give it a look, it'll probably tell you everything you need to know to get things quiet.