Paints

From what I understand, vast majority of their paint is Acrylic Lacquer. I'm getting ready to use it and get the impression, it's not the best clear coat to get that 'wet look' cause it has a tendency to be just a bit cloudy compared to something like nitro.

It can be wet sanded without any problems though.

My 1 1/2 cents.

Brian

All the oldtimers used to moan about acrylic lacquer not being hard enough. They said it wouldn't polish out like nitro, and wouldn't last as long (well, maybe, but we've seen how well nitro lasts on those old Fenders, so who knows). I've never heard anybody complain about acrylic's lack of clarity, but it may be the formula Duplicolor uses, or it may be another myth. I can remember hearing that auto poly has a blue-green tint to it, but only from people who were used to shooting nitro and had gotten accustomed to the amber cast it has. Has anyone shot any test boards to see how the DupliColor clear works over their color coats, or are we just taking somebody else's word that it isn't any good? I think it'd be worth a random 2x4 cutoff, some prep work, a can of primer, a can of color coat and a can of clear to find out. What's that, about twenty bucks and a little extra time? :D

All the oldtimers used to moan about acrylic lacquer not being hard enough. They said it wouldn't polish out like nitro, and wouldn't last as long (well, maybe, but we've seen how well nitro lasts on those old Fenders, so who knows). I've never heard anybody complain about acrylic's lack of clarity, but it may be the formula Duplicolor uses, or it may be another myth.

I just got done using the Duplicolor "truck, van, and SUV" clear on a tele... no clouding problems here at all.

Thanks, Reaper! Did you have any problems polishing it out? Oh, and how many cans/coats did you end up using?

I used the two cans that came with the Mirage kits (which weren't that great), and about a can and a half of the T/V/SUV stuff, which was noticably better. I put on about ten coats, polished it out with high-grade steel wool and Meguiars #7 (the "Show Car Glaze"). It's not the ultra-deep gloss that you see on some of the Carvin axes, but that's more due to my ability than to the paint itself. A few more coats, a little better polishing, and it definately could be.