Copper Mineral Inlay Material

Are there any reasons I should not use Malachite or Azurite as a fretboard inlay?

Is there any truth to these copper minerals being toxic when cut?

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase enough for one fretboard, fairly cheap?

You don't want to use the real stone because a lapidaris needs to cut it and it won't sand down. It's too hard. Use the reconstituted stone versions. They are available at Masecraft Supply. I posted the number a few days ago.

Craig Lavin

Malachite dust is very toxic and must be worked wet. For that reason alone I think it would not be a good choice for inlay into wood. It's relatively soft (about 4 on the mohs scale) and can be worked without diamond tools but the water needed would trash your fretboard. I would recomend reconstituted stone or skip it.

It's a shame because it would be a really cool inlay material with the eyes and banding.

I've got slabs of malachite recon stone here that have tons of banding and very strong patterns. I personally can't tell the recon from natural, and many jewelers use the recon instead of the real stuff for jewelry due to it's ease of use.

What is different is the level they buff it out to. Natural recon can get a glass like look to it, you can most likely achieve the same with the recon stone, although I normally don't go higher than 400 grit.

Craig L

Wow, that's good to know Craig, I've never really worked with recon but it has so many advantages. Is the hardness the same? "Real" malachite is carvable with a good knife, can the recon be worked the same? I'm sure it would take at least as good of a polish.

Reconstituted stone is very variable with regard to hardness and brittleness with each different type. Many types are very hard and easy to cut, many are very brittle, fragile, and crack easy during cutting. Some are just downright a pain in the butt.

You need to try each out and see how they work for you.

I like cutting them at a thickness of about .08 or so, a little thicker than most shell.

They come in slabs that are 1/8" thick, so you'll need to thickness them down to a workable size. No one I know sells it "ready to go"

Masecraft supply has the full range of about 20 or so types, maybe more. Rescue pearl started seling some varieties, and I believe they may sand it down for you as well. You need to ask.

It's not "beginners" inlay material in my opinion, but try it, and if it doesn't work out, try it again. Make it work. That's called learning :o)

Oh- and it's NOT cheap :D

Craig Lavin