Humbucker with few wires

perhellion

I would say yes it is normal, my guitar had pickups with only signal and ground. I assume the humbucker you have gives one option - series, in phase. A lot of new pickups have more wires for coil tapping but some seymour duncan humbuckers still only have singal and ground (the '59? or is it the Seth Lover? Dunno)

I bought a pickup with just one signal and earth wire. It is a standard humbucker-style pick-up with a metal cover, with one row of screw-heads/pole pieces on one side...the usual type. I don't know the manufacturer, it was a cheap unbranded pick-up from a shop. It sounds very thin and trebly at the bridge position...and I have a sneaky feeling that it is a single coil pickup, but humbucker sized. Is this possible?

The Duncan '59 that I have is single conductor plus shielding. I have some DiMarzios of unknown model that are the same way. It's not uncommon. Typically vintage style pickups are like that because that's how the old pickups were, and they're trying to recreate that. All it really means is that you get fewer wiring possibilities.

I don't know about a dead coil, the whole thing is sealed with welding/solder at the back. You're right the everything sounds trebly at the bridge, so it's hard to tell really. But I do know a single coil sound when I hear it, and it sounds a bit single coilish to me.