Guitar pups/ Bass pups

Hotrock

Alright dudes,

Work should commence on the pickup winder soon, but that's going to bring about it's own set of problems soon. Unfortunately I have offered to build my bro a new body for his bass and said that I would wind him some new pups using the bobbins off of his old one. (I think it's a P bass - albeit a cheap copy - the one with split pups).

Is there a major difference in the construction of bass pups over guitar pups, i.e. wire thickness etc because I'll be buying supplies soon.

Cheers dudes

Kaj

not really, wire gauge is either 42 or 43, they rewind the same as single coils. You can thank that to Leo for having designed the jazz, precision and strat. They pretty much are the same if you re-use the old bobbins and magnets, just make sure you know the resistance or turns you want to have with your finished result.

If you were to build your bobbins that would be a different story. The P-bass bobbins have one bobbin pointing north and the other pointing south to act as a humbucker.

The jazz has one magnet on each string pointed north and the other south.

Cheers Phil B) It was mainly the wire thickness that I wasn't too sure about but now I'll just buy an extra large spool of wire. I've also got three humbuckers and two single coils to wind.

Just another quick question - Can I put a humbucker on the bridge end of the bass and move the baby single coils near the neck end? That'll suprise him. He's a bit of a metal type, shove my bass through a distortion pedel anyway, so I think it'll suit him. :D

Cheers Phil B) It was mainly the wire thickness that I wasn't too sure about but now I'll just buy an extra large spool of wire. I've also got three humbuckers and two single coils to wind.

Just another quick question - Can I put a humbucker on the bridge end of the bass and move the baby single coils near the neck end? That'll suprise him. He's a bit of a metal type, shove my bass through a distortion pedel anyway, so I think it'll suit him. :D

sure, you can do that. He might not like it (it might not work for the exact sound he wants), but it can, and has been done ( I think Robin guitars made a bass like that. It was in the 80's when it was so popular to have a strat with bucker bridge then singles in middle/neck. So I think Robin was making a bass version of that. A double bobbin Jazz bucker type in the bridge, and 2 single jazzers in middle and neck.

I tend to use just a neck pickup when I play a bass that even has a neck pickup. Like a Rickenbacker bass. I really like the neck p/u in those. I get sick of funk type bass where they use the bridge pickup. I like a bass sound that forces your bowels to go up into your skull.

Hey that sounds like my polished-turd-ocaster which has a humbucker at the bridge and two single coils.

No....my main gaff was that is it going to explode his amp? Personally I'm sure he won't care, infact I'm sure he'll be pround. He like's being on the verge of blowing things up.

Just another quick question - Can I put a humbucker on the bridge end of the bass and move the baby single coils near the neck end? That'll suprise him. He's a bit of a metal type, shove my bass through a distortion pedel anyway, so I think it'll suit him.

Are you talking about musicman-type humbuckers? (or p-bass??) If you're talking abour a musicman humbucker in bridge position and single coil in neck, that's no problem whatsoever. Have a look at the Carvin website. They have a bass model like that one.

when winding the humbucker is it just wind wind wind around the magnets or what?

A humbucker is usually two different bobbins wound appart and assembled together after. one bobbin will have its magnets pointed towards the north and the wire turned clockwise and the other bobbin will have its magnets pointed south and its wires turned counter clockwise. Once assembled, this makes the humbucking effect

Phil, you're a gent B)

Right then, a perspex warlock bass with a coil tapped humbucker and a split single coil then. Sounds horrible but thats what the man wants so who am I to argue :D