Pickup installation

thenerd

i have two dimarzio pickups which i have connected to a 5 way switch......neck red wire to peg 8 and bridge red wire to peg 6...ground to peg 5. I get the same sound on position 1 & 2 and same sound on position 4 & 5.......im wondering if these positions are giving me full serial humbucker sound or is the power being cut due to the sound being sent to two different positions?

thanks in advance

A couple of questions:
  • What kind of 5 way switch, a std Strat, or something fancier?
  • Why do you have the ground wire hooked up to the switch?
  • What are you trying to get the switch to do?

its a standard 5 way switch which came on my Ibanez RG1570, nothing fancy, has 8 "pegs" (or whatever they are called) on it in a straight line. I wrote wrong in the original message, the 5th peg is connected to the volume pot not ground sorry. i would like if possible to get split sounds from the dimarzio as well as humbucker sounds, i was told earlier i could do this but im not sure how to wire it, i would really apreciate some help :-). I also wonder if because the same sound is coming out on two different positions on the switch if that means im gettin lower output.

thanks for the help

THe NERD

If you're not using a middle pickup, and you don't have the other half of the switch wired up (lugs 1-4), then you're doing fine. Positions 1 and 2 are one pickup, positions 4 and 5 are the other, and position 3 should be dead. If you have a middle pickup wired to lug 7, you have a standard Strat setup. Try wiring lug 1 to the black/white wire pair on the bridge pickup, lug 2 to ground, and lug 3 to the black/white pair on the neck pickup, and see if that gets you what you're looking for. :D