Binding questions

First of all, I realised too late that I'm going to need twice as much binding as I originally decided on, since I was just going to do the top of a guitar and have since decided on doing the back as well, and I already ordered it from Stew Mac along with all the other things I need right now, so obviously I can't just order another 54" of it, since that's well below the $30 minimum...

So is there another place that I could get .09x.25" black binding that anyone knows of and would recommend? And that doesn't have a minimum order? Or am I just going to have to wait until next month's Stew Mac order?

Secondly, does anyone know of where to get uncut binding material or at least binding that's about 2" wide instead of 1/4 inch or so? Like if one was going to bind the whole thickness of a guitar, if that makes sense.

Thanks for any info.

It's best to order from the same source...binding colors and diminsions can vary a bit from company to company.

As a rule of thumb, ALWAYS order more binding than you need. If you miscut a piece, you'll be happy you have it.

Not sure of a place to buy binding as think as you are looking for. binding the entire side of a guitar would be a challange as well.

Okay, so I should have said I already RECEIVED my order... :D

It's just black binding, so I'm not worried about another brand being a different color, as long as it's the same size, black is black. What's up with Stew Mac being the only place to get it? Freakin' Stew Mac...

Oh well. I guess I'll just wait until my next order.

Thanks anyway.

A very simple net search on the word binding will bring up several sources, who told you stew-mac is the only place for binding?

It's literally all over the place, any major luthier supplier will carry binding.

Warmoth, LMI, WD Music Products, it's all over the place.

A very simple net search on the word binding will bring up several sources, who told you stew-mac is the only place for binding?

It's literally all over the place, any major luthier supplier will carry binding.

Warmoth, LMI, WD Music Products, it's all over the place.

I really couldn't find it anywhere else on my own. Of those sites, I checked Warmoth and couldn't find binding listed as a product. Either they hid it or it would be a special order... WD has a minimum order of $20, and I couldn't find binding there either... LMI only has .08 in black and I need .09. Finally, I did a web search on guitar binding and turned up nothing.

Hence my statement that Stew Mac seems to be the only place to get it. :D

I'd also like to know where to get sheets of the laminated binding material, so that I could cut my own specific thicknesses on the band saw.

I was thinking of maybe trying pickguard material. It comes in the right thicknesses, the only problem might be getting it to bend, but since it's plastic rather than celluloid I figure you could use more aggressive heat. Oh, and you'd have a lot more joints in the binding, but if you're good at doing binding anyway that shouldn't be a problem.