get the neck or the body first?

planning a strat-style parts guitar. I haven't decided on the exact specs yet (floyd or vintage, scalloped or not, what pickups etc) and I'm not really sure where to start. should I get the body first? or should I get the neck? of course, if I find another YJM neck (the last one I found around here was sold when I had the money) the problem is solved :D

also, is it common for (finished) maple necks to feel very sticky? or is that simply caused by the small frets on the ones I've tried?

I don't really think it matter's which come's first, it's not like the old Chicken and Egg delima :D

As far as the finishes go, I've read about nitrocellulose finishes becoming sticky in certain adverse conditions or by storing them around synthetic plastics such as the tubing used on a lot of the guitar stands on the market.

I don't really think it matter's which come's first, it's not like the old Chicken and Egg delima :D

As far as the finishes go, I've read about nitrocellulose finishes becoming sticky in certain adverse conditions or by storing them around synthetic plastics such as the tubing used on a lot of the guitar stands on the market.

nah, it's the "where do I start in order to keep me busy for a while".

I think I just answered my question... B):D

are you planning to buy a body and neck or make them yourself?

I found that spraying the body (I oil my necks) is the most time consuming job.

I'm buying the neck. don't have the guts to try and make one. haven't decided which way to go concerning the body though. of course it would be fun to make it myself, but a pro could do a better job, especially with the neck pocket and the trem cavity. of course, I could construct a jig to get all the routings in the correct positions. but I could still screw up with the bandsaw and end up with a slightly narrow heel (which may look alright, but I'd now it was there).

btw, I have made a body template and it came out weird. like, if I attach it to the body I copied, it's almost exact (a bit oversized in every area except for the heel which was traced with a bit more accuracy). but when I attach the neck to the template (there are 2 holes in the template corresponding to the neck screw holes in the body) it seems the heel is a bit narrow (while the body heel is just a little tad wider than the neck) or maybe the neck is angled compared to the centerline, I'm not sure which is correct. could anyone tell me what's happening there? :D