Alder is Sexy!

Well, nine years into this and I have NEVER used Alder.

Hey, my local guy never carried it, OK?

But Scott pointed me to another local guy who carries it (thanks Scott)

Jeeps this wood has the -nicest- tap tone!

Tap tone is kinda hard to describe, but I've tapped on wood for a long time, you just sort of develop an ear for it, and this wood has just the coolest tapper to it.

Only thing weird is that I'll have to make a 2-part body out of it, and I always have had the 'heebs' about using 2-piece bodies with the glue joint going down the middle...can't explain it, but oh well, no choice now, gotta build with this stuff!

I think I shall never use Poplar again with the prices of this stuff being as good as they are, so long Poplar!

:DB):D:D:D

Way to go, Drak!

I was going to use alder for my current project-to-be with maple cap, but I've decided to go with koa instead (diff sound and look) but it's good to know it's worth the effort. Since I will inevitably do another bass :D maybe it'll be the basis for my 3rd.

B)

I used alder for my first scratch built guitar (not very long ago) - a Tele style. I'm not experienced enough with wood for musical instruments to comment on tap tone, but I can say the wood was a pleasure to work with. Being the first guitar (before I got hooked), I was using primarily hand tools, and the wood behaved beautifully. I also had to make a two piece body. And Alder doesn't need to be grain filled before finishing. Let us know how you liked working with it.