Ripping mahogany

I got a nice piece of mahogany the other day, only thing is its about 48 long, 7 wide, and 4 thick...

Im gonna use it for the body, and therefore need to get the thickness down to 1 3/4. Is a tablesaw suitable for this job? I figure I can do it in 2 passes, flipping the board around after the first, using a featherboard to keep the piece onto the rail. This would get it to 2 thick, and from there, im not sure how to get it to the final thickness...

On a little side note, I purchased a book called Router Magic, by Bill Hylton, and It has some great stuff in it...most notably of which was a plan for a surfacing baseplate. I never thought of surfacing with my router before!! Seems like an interesting idea, although highly inefficient.

So maybe I can use this surfacing technique to get the thickness of my piece down to the final 1 3/4 thickness after table sawing it?

the table saw method would wood for sure, just make sure the base is secure cause a 48in piece is very heavy.

If you have a cabinet shop by you, they have a planner and could get it down to the 1 3/4.

Although a 2 inch body would work too. a little heavier

Normal body blanks are about 21" long, so if you don't want to risk messing up the Mah. you can cut it to 2 24" long boards, then you can take it to get planedor have the cabinet place or wood shop in your area rip it and plane it for a fee. This is the same situatoin I go but the place I will get the wood from have a planner and a nice band saw that I will be using to do the cuts my self... Good luck

Yeah I think Im gonna look for a shop to do the planing perhaps..It seems like that is the best option. I think im gonna do the cutting on my tablesaw though, just for the experience. Im trying to get to a point where I dont have to rely on a shop to do any work for me. Thanks all.