Matte Finish

Does anyone have any suggestions at all regarding a matte finnish? Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but hey, I built the guitar so I want it to look my way. I'm looking to get that street rod primer black look, but I want to ensure that the final product is durable to some degree against scratches.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Spiteboy

Spiteboy,

There are a couple ways you can do a matte finish.

The first obviously is to buy a matte clear. Quite often laquers are available in a matte finish clear.

Testors model enamel also makes a clear in a matte finish.

There are also additives for automotive urethanes to matte the finish.

However, there are a few things to keep in mind.......

1. When spraying a matte finish you HAVE to spray perfectly, you absolutely can NOT sand and buff out a matte finish, any form of rubbing or buffing will put a shine on it.

2. If you DO get a run or something, you will need to sand it ALL flat and respray the entire thing.

3. NO matte finish will stay perfectly matte if you use it at all. Any rubbing will smooth out the texture of the matte finish leaving shiny spots. There isn't really any way around this except to not play it.

The automotive are the most durable, but also the most dangerous to spray. Even in terms of durability though the automotive in a matte will develop a sheen with any form of rubbing.

it will look like a gloss finish that's scratched is all. While it looks more matte than shiny, it doesn't look good, it just looks cloudy. A matte finish won't hide any detail or anything, it is nice and clear, just matte. Sanding a gloss finish with 2000 looks cloudy and scratched up because that's all it is is scratched up.

3.  NO matte finish will stay perfectly matte if you use it at all.  Any rubbing will smooth out the texture of the matte finish leaving shiny spots.  There isn't really any way around this except to not play it.

AARGH!!! of course you are correct. Why this didn't occur to me is beyond me. Thanks for your reply tho'. I'm off to rethink this whole finish thing