changing pick-ups in '88 77fp

hi all,

i was wondering if changing the pick-ups in my 1988 jem77fp would devalue the insturment. the PAF pros that are in there are faded, not too bad, but faded none the less. i wanted to upgrade also to breeds or evos. if this is going to devalue my jem, then i won't do it.

also, the decal on the headstock is rubbed off. they were painted on top of the clear with a cheesey paint, so they didn't hold up too well. is there anyone out there who sells a decal, or a stencil to re-apply a new decal?

one more thing, is the single coil different in the newer jems with evos or breeds than with the PAF pros? i know they don't sell them,(without the guitar attached anyway) so it's not a huge issue.

thanx guys.

To a true collector yes, everything original and intact. Doesn't mean you can't save the pickups by desoldering them instead of just cutting them out. That way it can be put back to original anyway.

When it comes to the single coil DiMarzio will tell you go with the HS-2, the difference being nominal by design.

thank you,

if i change out the pick-ups, what is the best way to keep the old one from fading any more. i think light has a lot to do with the fading, but does air or any other factors affect the plastic?

also i know that Jem7vwh's are made of alder. will evos sound too bright in a basswood body?

Light is the key when it comes to the fading so just store them away in the closet.

Yes the treble will raise a bit but the mid's and bass will as well. Actually you should hear more bass according to the spec's. On the bridge the output will be stronger and the neck will be a little weaker. Over all (neck & Bridge) you'll notice more punch in tone since the ratings are higher on EVO's over the PAF Pro's.

i own and have played many basswood guitars.the sound is not as bright as alder.it sounds very scooped.good for rock or metal but not good for clean.i prefer alder or mahogany.on a side note i am building a neck thru v out of walnut,maple,and alder.just started on it last weekend.i am curious as to how it will sound.

thanks for the input,

i think i'll just try it, if it's all wrong i'll trade them for breeds, i think they come in the 7dbks and those are basswood.

what's the best place to go for pick-ups, well most inexpensive anyway. i usually get mine from the local music shop, but i pay about $60 a piece for them, and they say it takes like 6 to 8 weeks for custom colors. i just need pink!

also i've seen them online for 55, but thats with 6 bucks shipping.

what are the "bobbin toppers" made of? is it a sticker, or plastic. are they self adhesive? how close is the pink to dimarzio pink?

thanx all.