Need To Build A Spray Booth.

CGHbuilder86

Ok, first of all, since you didn't notice the sarcasm, spelling has nothing to do with it, it was a joke, hence the "LOL"

I don't overestimate the explosive power of solvents, I underestimate the common sense level of many people who may take your advice and put an electric heater (since you specified nothing in your first post) in a booth while spraying laquer based paints or otherwise. Typically a space heater refers to an electric heater.

Next, the ONLY images on my site that are computer generated are the leviathan mockups, and they are listed as mockups, I've made no claim that they are the real finished products. If you think any of the other images are mockups please show me so I can show you the in progress shots and put your idea's to rest.

No, I'm not a booth expert, but I did research it extensively, have worked in some very high end booths, and have a good understanding of paints, booths, and application and safety.

If you hope to ever meet code on a booth, and you DON'T have explosion proof lighting, and heating, you'll never pass code, there is a reason for this code, because of the potential for disaster.

So build your booth however you want, your first post said NOTHING of sealed lights, or oil heaters.

And by the way, before you make a general comment about me having computer generated images on my website instead of real ones, do a little closer looking and get your facts straight, I do not appreciate comments like that.

For what it's worth, I looked at your website, since you feel you should tell me I should have pictures of my actual work, I guess I should say, it would be nice if in your gallery it showed any work at all, computer generated idea's or otherwise. I saw pictures of 3 or 4 guitars in your history pages, that doesn't tell me much. Credentials, resume, actual pictures, those would be nice.

Ok, first of all, since you didn't notice the sarcasm, spelling has nothing to do with it, it was a joke, hence the "LOL"

I don't overestimate the explosive power of solvents, I underestimate the common sense level of many people who may take your advice and put an electric heater (since you specified nothing in your first post) in a booth while spraying laquer based paints or otherwise.  Typically a space heater refers to an electric heater.

Next, the ONLY images on my site that are computer generated are the leviathan mockups, and they are listed as mockups, I've made no claim that they are the real finished products.  If you think any of the other images are mockups please show me so I can show you the in progress shots and put your idea's to rest. 

No, I'm not a booth expert, but I did research it extensively, have worked in some very high end booths, and have a good understanding of paints, booths, and application and safety. 

If you hope to ever meet code on a booth, and you DON'T have explosion proof lighting, and heating, you'll never pass code, there is a reason for this code, because of the potential for disaster.

So build your booth however you want, your first post said NOTHING of sealed lights, or oil heaters. 

And by the way, before you make a general comment about me having computer generated images on my website instead of real ones, do a little closer looking and get your facts straight, I do not appreciate comments like that.

For what it's worth, I looked at your website, since you feel you should tell me I should have pictures of my actual work, I guess I should say, it would be nice if in your gallery it showed any work at all, computer generated idea's or otherwise.  I saw pictures of 3 or 4 guitars in your history pages, that doesn't tell me much.  Credentials, resume, actual pictures, those would be nice.

Yeah, Rome wasn't built in a day. My pictures are coming, I have one going to paint by the end of the week. The site has only been up for less than a month.

I didn't mean to imply that your images are not real. The mockups are cool but a picture would be nicer. (Just constructive critisim, nothing more) I was sincere when I said you do nice work, I'm very impressed.

It seems this has become a little personal. You probably know as well as I that posts can be misconstrued at times. No Hard feelings. :D

Okay, not to pile on the new guy, just to add a little safety note regarding oil filled heaters. I have one and I assume it is similar to the one GG is using (the link didn't direct me to the product, so I gave up, sorry if the proct differs). It has two wattage switches and when you switch them I've noted a spark through the vents in the cover. Thus, I'd never turn it on or off when any fumes were present. Only to preheat a space - spraying later after it was off - or much, much later, ie: no fumes, for drying.

On the safety issue as a whole I think the idea is for folks with experience (I don't have anywhere near what quite a few of you do) to be sure to err on the side of caution when making posts. Don't assume that the whole forum has the body of knowledge to avoid hazards, obvious or subtle. GG, I'm sure you'll contribute to the community here.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, and in hindsight i see where you guys are coming from with people having less experience. All I can say to that is painting with urethanes (spelled it right :D ) is not soming to jump into.

One point I have to make though is how many people spray lacquers and urethanes in their garage? The answer is a LOT! And this is in the same room as furnaces, compressors, power tools etc etc etc. And again I ask how many explosions do you hear of? Very few!

A lot of the codes surrounding paint booths fall into the "protect me im stupid category". Think before you do and everything will be fine.

And your right about the spark, I've seen it myself. The proper procedure for "baking" a finsh would be to heat the room to approx 90 F. Remove the heaters and start painting. If the room is insulated enough it will keep the heat regardless of the air movement.

Electrics dont usally spark in the on or off position it's the tranzition between the two that does it. So turn the exaust fan on and leave it on, turn the heater on and then remove it after reaching temperature. Dont turn the lights on and off ....you see the drill.

I was thinking of making a video and I will post it when im done. To see actually how much atomized paint it would take to ignite. I'm curious now.

Can anyone here give me some info or point me in the direction of a web site that explains how to build a spray booth that is suitable for spraying  guitars. My shop is not really set up where I can cut a big hole in the wall for a fan. I am planning on boxing of a corner of my shop just big enough for me to fit inside of  with a few guitars. My plan for ducting to the  outside air is to mount some type of vent, like a dryer vent into a piece of 3/4" plywood to set in the window. But when it comes to setting up the fan and filters I’m lost. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

CGH

Try autobodytoolmart.com . They sell whats called bench booths. If your shooting this stuff without proper ventillation you need a "full face mask". The chemicals can still be absorbed through your eyes. You should also cover your skin, ie gloves, shirts ect. The bench booth is perfect for guitar, motorcycle and small car parts. It also has filters and is used with an explosion proof fan. They're not cheap but they're professional and if you get good enough spraying you can use it to make some money for your services.

Good Luck

one must remember here that there are teens and other people whose common sense is zero, just because they read it here they think its safe and works.

A heater around any types of chemicals is bad very bad. Go to any shop environment and for insurance purposes all the chemicals are usually in an explosion proof booth or something. All it takes is one little mess up to make a very deadly mistake.

Please read here with caution, chemicals are very very bad.

I would also be interested to see the results of this video experiment. I think that you are more likely to have an explosion with gasoline fumes than you would with atomized urethane. I think the air to fuel ratio probably would be hard to get in the range where it would be explosive - and it's probably a narrow range at that. Now, spray it on something and immediately throw a match on it - that's a different story... :D

" There are old painters, and bold painters, but not old bold painters" - Old southern autobody repair shop adage
Paint booth fires/explosions may not be that common (although it is tempting to attribute that to the strict construction codes in most areas), but it's more than a little irresponsible to downplay the danger, especially when the audience is largely inexperienced. After all, most meth labs don't blow up, either. Regardless of how seldom it happens statistically, or anyone's personal experience, any igntion source in the presence of airborne solvents in an enclosed space is a potential bomb! Even if the odds are one in one hundred thousand, that's still well above my personal level of acceptable casualties - just be careful.

I guess I should have added that if you are going to err, it's better to err in the direction of being overly concerned about safety than it is to ignore possible safety hazards.

Having said that, there is a difference between something being flammable and explosive - and they're not always one and the same. Both can result in serious injury (or death) and serious property damage!

Ok, seeing as how everyone is harping that the inexperienced users of this site may try this, I say

Kids, Don't try this at home!

And while were on the topic of safety. I think we should talk about tools. You are more likely to loose a finger in a jointer so maybe we shouldnt use those either. Table saws....The most dangerous tools in the shop somehow dont get mentioned.