Emg Wiring Help

User01

ok, im planning to install my EMG 81 and EMG 89 pickups into my guitar.

im a beginner, so go easy on me

i only have 2 holes in my guitar

1 for the volume pot and 1 for the tone pot

i want to run the emg 81 and the emg 89 throught the emg 89 push/pull pot set.

is that possible?

ok, now the emg 89 push pull vol and tone pots are too close to each other to match the holes in the body. would i be able to cut some of the black wire and resitor wire from the emg 81 pot set and join it on to the emg 89 pot set so that its further apart and will be able to fit the holes?

i would be extremely greatful if you could help me with this.

thank you very much

user01

is that possible?

Yes - you can use them as a master volume/tone for both pickups.

would i be able to cut some of the black wire and resitor wire from the emg 81 pot set and join it on to the emg 89 pot set so that its further apart and will be able to fit the holes?
Again, no problem - simply splice in enough wire to give you the clearance you need. You can use the wire from the 81 or just use standard hookup wire.

is that possible?

Yes - you can use them as a master volume/tone for both pickups.

would i be able to cut some of the black wire and resitor wire from the emg 81 pot set and join it on to the emg 89 pot set so that its further apart and will be able to fit the holes?
Again, no problem - simply splice in enough wire to give you the clearance you need. You can use the wire from the 81 or just use standard hookup wire.

wicked gdgd, thats what i wanted to hear :D

ok, now i have one more question

with the quick connect cable...one end goes in to the pickup...where does the other end go? i know it some how connects to the pots, but i dont really understand the diagram which came with the pickup so i dont know where exactly to connect it to.

so i connect it to the volume pot or the tone pot? or does i connect it to the selector... ?

i have no idea :D

any help with that would be greatly appreciated,

one more thing, i may be asking for a lot, but here goes, has anyone got a close up photo of emg wiring so i can get a better idea?

any input would be greatly appreciated, thankx

user01

p.s. if i run the emg 81 and 89 throught the 1 push/pull pot set, would that disable the coil tap ability?

Edited by User01

1.jpg

will this diagram work with the emg 89 and the emg 81...?

if it is the right diagram then thats perfect for me. but i just dont understand one thing.

what are the cables labled 1, 2, 3 on the diagram? :S where do i get that from? do i have to supply it myself or what?

thanks

No, that diagram will not work with the 81 and 89 for the setup that you want.

What you will need to do is combine both the 81 and 89 wiring diagrams. If you are using a three way switch, here are the steps:

1. Follow the initial wiring procedure for the 89 split-control with either Diagram 1A or 1B--but do not connect pin 2 of the switch (the pickup output) with the middle lug of the volume pot. Whether you follow 1A or 1B will determine whether you want single-coil mode with the knob pulled up (1B) or down (1A).

2. Now follow the 1 Volume, 1 Tone w/switch diagram as found on the 81 wiring sheet. Solder a wire on to pin 2 of the 89 control switch. That is the new hot wire for that pickup--both in single coil mode and humbucker mode. Solder that wire to the 3-way switch. Follow the rest of the diagram as shown to complete wiring up the 81, tone pot, switch, output jack, and battery.

Edited by crafty

ok, thank you very much for explaining it to me, i really appreciate it, thank you.

ok, what i dont understand is:

Solder wire on to pin 2 of the 89 control switch

what wire do i solder onto pin 2 of the emg 89 control switch?

on the emg89 instruction guide, i see white cables...where do i get them from?

i've drawn a simple diagram of what i've understood, can you tell me if its right and use it to tell me what i have to do?

here it is: Diagram

thank you very much

user01

:D

Edited by User01

Sorry about that, I should have been more specific. Just solder a piece of wire, ANY old piece of wire, to pin 2 of the switch and then solder the other end to the pickup selector switch as you have it in your drawing. The pickups should have also come with some extra wire to use for some of the "white" connections. If they didn't, reuse some of the old wiring that you took out of the guitar if it's in good shape. It just has to make the connection, nothing fancy.

If you were installing a regular EMG pickup, you'd solder the hot lead to the selector switch. For the EMG 89, the wire you're installing on pin 2 is the hot lead that is going to send the signal to the selector switch instead.

About your drawing, the hot lead coming off the selector switch and the capacitor should be connected to the outside lug of the volume pot, not the middle as you have in your drawing, and the hot lead going from the volume pot should be soldered to the center lug, not the outside lug. Follow the diagram on the EMG 81 instructions exactly as drawn and you shouldn't have any problems.

Also, you sound like kind of a wiring newb, if I'm wrong, sorry, but I just want to pass along a tip. Don't heat up those pots too much or you'll burn 'em up. Pick up some paste flux from Radio Shack and use that if you can't get the solder to stick to the back of those pots with moderate heat. Use a pencil eraser and rubbing alcohol to thouroughly clean the components before you hit 'em with flux and solder too.

Edited by crafty

ok

i understand what you mean now

i did middle to middle, it should be middle to outside yea?

ok, now that i have got that right, is that all? is that correct now? am i ready to install the pickups?

btw, is the emg 81 wiring right?

thank you very very much for your help, you've been extremely helpful

cant tell you how important you have been

cheers mate!

user01

Edited by User01