Metal Pickup Covers

finger flex

I've just broght some chrome mounting rings! their the dogs bolocks! :D

Rob: Are they all metal or chromed plastic? I fancy some gold ones for my old aria LP-ish guitar - but it's a 3 humbucker jobby so the middle one would need to be shaped down from a bridge one. Metal on emery on the surface of the body would be bloody hard work.

Hey... I just bought a new dean ml 79 and I am considering buying some chrome pickup covers and mounting rings to give it that extra oomph aesthetically speaking.. but I'm not sure if having a metal cover over the humbuckers will affect the sound adversley or whatever.. just looking for some advice!

thanks

The metal covers do affect the sound a little. Back in the day, as Brian says :D, Seth Lover was trying to reduce all the hum that he could. The metal covers act as a diamagnetic sheild to filter out unwanted electromagnetic noise (radio, florescent lights...).

Many players like Peter Green started taking them off the old humbuckers because the output was hotter without the covers. That's true to some extent. Personally, I've never been able to tell the difference. Humbuckers with and without covers both sound good.