Guitar Of The Month For August

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members, so show us your axe in this thread!

This contest is open to any and all members that enter and will be continued each month for a place showing your creation on the homepage!

The winner(s) of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture will link directly to it if you so choose (even commercial site's).

If your a forum member you will also be upgraded to a Featured member which allows you to see the Advanced Chat section and download area.

So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till sometime around the 23rd of July then this thread gets locked and the voting starts!

Any Post that is not an entry will be deleted, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any guitar entered this month

There may be more then one poll to determine winners in different catagorys at the end of this contest!

Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered

If Possible Give Your Guitar a Name or Nick Name as well :D

Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to Brian and it will be posted for you, or ask forum members how to post pictures, they are very helpful.

This is my first full build, including neck. Kind of a cross between a Dano Guitarlin and a Les Paul Jr. I call it the 1954.

Here's the centerfold pic: :D

1954guitarre_02Large.jpg

1954pierre038Large.jpg

1954pierre029Large.jpg

1954pierre021Large.jpg

The specs:

One-piece body, one-piece neck --both are from the same plank of mystery wood I found in the loft of the barn here. Probably an exotic wood from Africa, gnognon, ipe, whatever. It's been here at least 30 years, maybe 50. Which means there are some surface cracks -a nice one at the top of the headstock, a couple on the body. I like the look, so I kept them.

Fretboard is ebony, Gibson vintage scale with 28 frets plus zero fret. The neck is 40.5 mm or so at the nut --It's patterned after my Gibson Melody Maker (which is 38 mm at the nut). I wanted it a little wider and a little beefier. A rounded profile. It's reinforced with carbon fiber kite rods and a two-way trussrod. But I haven't had any need to adjust that yet. I plan to cut a new nut from a Graphtech trem nut blank. The neck tenon extends into the pickup cavity and the edge of the P90 rests against the end of the tenon.

Pickup is a Gibson Legendary Series P-90 --sounds great. It's paired with an Artec VTC active circuit that works surprisingly well, definitely better than a standard tone knob (which I never use anyway). The VTC works pretty nicely--it injects a bit more high end in there, since I positioned the pickup a bit far from the bridge.

Bridge is a Gotoh vintage style non-compensated wraparound. It's aluminum, so it's ultra lightweight.

In fact, the whole guitar is ultra-lightweight, probably weighs half as much as my strat or tele. It's also a highly ergonomic guitar--the wider body provides really good support for my arm/torso/shoulder, the curves place the guitar exactly where I like it when I'm seated too. And of course with the cutaways, there's no problem getting to the upper frets. Took it into my guitar lesson today--my teacher wants me to leave so he can show it to some of his students--he's got a lot of metal players, he thinks they'd really like it, especially the upper fret access and the extended range.

I somehow managed to get the bridge placed spot on. I also made a bit of progress on the finish, just a few minor blemishes, quirks. The top photo is closest to the real color, the other photos are being washed out by the sun. I'll try to get better photos before the contest closes. Great sustain, really good acoustic resonance, sounds great through my AC-15. I've been playing it for about a month now--as I mentioned elsewhere, I set it up (adjusted the trussrod mostly) and the guitar is now easily the best guitar I own. In fact, I actually play better with this guitar than with any of my others. Go figure.

Thanks to everyone who have helped me along the way to the build--I'm going to single out Mattia, Swedish Luthier and Setch as three of my 'build angels'--there's no way I could ever have built this without all the help and patience I've found in this forum.

And I have to say, now that I built the neck for the guitar, I finally feel like I'm playing a guitar that I really did build for myself. Definitely the most fun part of this build.

There's an Esquire version (the 1950) coming soon, I built a new neck for it, another month until the finish has cured.

Friend of mine helped me out with the photos, here's a few more (If anyone objects to the thumbnails, let me know, I'll convert them to links):

th_1954pierre059Large.jpg th_1954pierre044Large.jpg th_1954pierre041Large.jpg th_1954pierre037Large.jpg

And here's another centerfold shot:

th_1954guitarre_01Large.jpg

Sexy, eh? :D

• 3 weeks later...

whew! this is my first gtom entry. this is also my first build where i made the neck. so please not too many negative comments. here is my les paul copy

build thread

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=30529

this may ruin it for me, but here is a sound sample (warning old/ new school heavy metal)

http://h1.ripway.com/killemall1983/VOC009.WAV

i have decided to call this one "Titanic" because it is so freaking heavy

specs

carved top ribbon grained african mahogany body

curly maple set neck

22 xj frets on cocobolo fretboard

ken lawrence style headstock

black hardware

GUITARHEADS active humbuckers

3 way toggle

2 volume, 2 tone

about 12lbs.

check it out:

finallyfinishedlespaulguitar001.jpg

finallyfinishedlespaulguitar006.jpg

finallyfinishedlespaulguitar005.jpg

finallyfinishedlespaulguitar004.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...ulguitar007.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...ulguitar009.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...ulguitar008.jpg

Edited by killemall8

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't have much time for building guitars or hanging around the forums for the last 12 months or so, but I did manage to complete this bass for my own enjoiment.

So here goes:

4 string headless bass

Black Korina and Purpleheart body

Spalted Maple top

3 pc Maple/Purpleheart neck

Birdseye Maple fretboard

24 frets

Bartolini 9J1 set and active preamp

ETS headless system (the headpiece is a custom design)

Piezo equiped saddles

I really like this one, it's not too heavy nor too light, and has a vast range of sounds from super tight glassy piezo tones to ultra deep lows and punchy slap tone. BTW, if you play distorted bass you just owe yourself a good piezo system, it's super clear and cuts through anything.

Picture037.jpg

Picture038.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture043.jpg