Highly Figured Birds Eye Maple Fingerboards

John Abbett

Hi all.

Some of you can relate to this, I have wood stashed behind the workbench, in under the workbench, in the corner and on shelves everywhere. Each board will get used one day for the special project. The only problem is, I use one board, and find two to replace it. I'm going to have to live to be 200 and stop buying wood.

I have some birds eye maple, that has the tightest, most figured birds eye's I've ever seen. This would have been made into a project years ago, but it's a strange size. It's 3.5 inches wide, 5/8 inches thick, and 8-11 feet long. It was originally culls from flooring many many years ago. I bought it at an auction, it was in a wood shop, on a shelf it was dark with age, I thought it was pine 1/4 flooring. I brought it home, ran it through my planer and about pee'd my pants. Anyway, I've made a desk, and a couple of tables tops out of it, amazing figure. It's been in my shop for about 4 years behind my workbench. This isn't an occasional birdseye, it's many birdseyes per inch.

So, I have this really great wood, waiting for a project, now that I'm into guitars, I realize it's perfect for fingerboards.

So, if anyone wants some of this, just let me know. I can cut off a reasonable length for a fingerboard ( 11' is not a fingerboard ) and plane it to fingerboard thickness, Wrap it in some cardboard and ship it to you. It would be 3.5 inches by whatever thickness you want (less then 5/8) by fingerboard length.. Longer if you want to build a Cello or something.

I'm asking 10 bucks each plus shipping. If that is out of line let me know. I figure that 5 bucks for the wood and 5 bucks for the trouble of cutting, planing and packaging, shipping. Sounds cheap to me.

I can't put a curve on the face, and I can't cut fingerboard slots. This is a do it yourself type of opportunity.

I will try to take some pictures tonight so you can choose.

Happiness guarantee. If you don't like it, I will refund your purchase price (Not the shipping) and you keep it.

I'm not in business to do this, I'm just a woodworker who happens to have some really cool boards that would make great fingerboards.

-John

John,

If your boards are reasonably straight, you should be able to re-saw 5/8" stock into two fingerboards. Most bandsaw blades will cost you about .055" in kerf loss and about .020" to clean up blades scratches. Just thought I would mention that :D

Peace,Rich

So far I have several people interested. One person wants a large amount. I will have to get those together and see what is left.

If you don't want me to plane it, you might be able to get two fingerboards out of each one, but my bandsaw doesn't cut perfectly, you would have to have better equipment then what I have to be able to get two out of each.

Here are some pics.

At this point, the people that have emailed me already will get boards, then if there are any left, I will open it up again.

img1841md4.th.jpg

img1838jv7.th.jpg

img1837fr2.th.jpg

Excellent. Those are what are known in the trade as "moments". If you've got a few more of those laying around John, I could do with some of those too!

My wife and I are off to the woodyard to buy a load of alder and sapele tomorrow, so a few "moments" finding straight-grained quartered sapele would go down a storm!

Excellent. Those are what are known in the trade as "moments". If you've got a few more of those laying around John, I could do with some of those too!

My wife and I are off to the woodyard to buy a load of alder and sapele tomorrow, so a few "moments" finding straight-grained quartered sapele would go down a storm!

Good Luck with that.

Make friends with the guy with the fork lift. The stuff on top is a waste of time, the good stuff it hard to reach, or it would be gone already.

-John

• 2 weeks later...

Hey John:

I am not yet a builder of instruments, but I long to be one. I am a huge fan of maples from Up North (having grown up in Michigan). I was watching a show on cable a few years ago, and the elderly couple who go antique hunting were in Bouckville, NY at the Bouckville-Madison Antique week, and they came across a furniture maker who made Shaker style, and Mission style furniture from reclaimed barnwood. All of it was from a single teardown barn from upstate NY, and all was birdseye, flame, and quilted maple. He'd said he bought the whole barn for $300 and tore it down, and every stick of wood when planed was solid 100 year old killer maple. You're in the right part of the world to make beautiful reclaimed wood things. (PS - I used to live in Vernon Center, NY). I wished I could've secure a fretboard piece - I'd like to build a knockout Telecaster-ish guitar. Thanks for showing and sharing. Peace. Mark