Best Eminence Speakers For Metal?

StormLeader

I'm looking at new speakers for my Peavey Ultra 2X12 combo now, and I'm wondering what would be my best bet for Thrash-y type stuff, the Eminence Governor's or the Manowar's?

I'm really leaning towards the Governors, as they are V30 copies and that's what most metal bands that I like tend to use, but I figured I'd ask you guys as well.

Thanks!

-Stormy

I don't like eminence at all.Most metal guys use celestion vintage 30s in a baffled cab like a marshall 1960 vintage (what I have) ..

I am not sure how well they come through in an open back combo,but every eminence speaker I ever tried was a spitting,harsh,distorted mess compared to a celestion vintage 30

Hahahah, I knew you were going to chime in with something like that Wes. :D

Most people seem to like the Governors and Manowars, and I am NOT paying $60 more PER SPEAKER for a Chinese-made Celestion over a US Made Eminence.

I really wish I could try them out, but I don't think anyone around here has any in a cab.

-Stormy

Sure go ahead...but the stock peaveys are as good as the eminence,so you aren't gaining anything...it's like trading out a Gibson 500t for a Duncan JB...

I really don't know or care where the celestion vintage 30 is made,but I have 8 of them in cabs I have been blasting through for about the last 10 years,and they are still like new even though I play at volumes that make most people cry.

You did ask for opinions..now how did I know you only wanted to hear an echo of your own? :D

Hmm..seems as if they just started recently making them in China...Mine are old(as noted),so they may not be the same as they were I guess..

Look into the Carvin v30s...I have been eyeballing them for a while..they seem to get good reviews...the thing about V30s is they have a sweeter midrange so they work really great for me.But you know...ask most old school metal guys and they are going to say the same thing

this is the one I mean

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/sing...product=GT12-16

I have a feeling if you heard my amp you would want one just like it

Yup, I know I would love some decent English-made V30's, but it seems that the only people who can get those are the big companies like Mesaboogie. From what I've heard the Chinese-made ones are the ones with the really bad upper-mid spike. I am liking the idea of the Carvin V30's though!

EDIT: Heh, it would appear that the Carvin GT12-16's are actually made by Eminence. :D

EDIT2: Actually, maybe not. Trying to find some reviews on it.

-Stormy

Edited by StormLeader

http://carvinguitars.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=182601

I found this discussion while searching around..interesting to note that just as many like eminence as celestion,and vice versa...

What it may boil down to is that alot of old school rock and metal guitarists have severe hearing loss at different frequencies than others...so maybe it just all depends on where your hearing loss is greatest at.I think I have alot of treble loss,and younger guys than me seem to have more loss at the low end(when I was a kid we didn't have so much bass in our stereos)

Or it could just be what you play.I want everything crisp and defined so I can hear all of my staccato riffing...alot of speakers tend to overload and get muddy at the volumes I play.

Well,keep in mind it gets more complicated than just one brand vs the other.Especially when you are talking about a not so popular combo like the Ultra...not too many guys out there trying different speakers.

Open back vs closed back will make a huge difference...obviously V30s are in mostly closed back 4 by 12s,so it could be that guys are putting them in open back amps and then they will sound more trebly and more harsh...

In my open back fender I bought Jensens,but that was for blues.If I was going open back metal amp(which is really kind of an oxymoron) I would look at what other open backed high gain amps are using...that would be a good start..

Is the Ultra open or closed back?And just so you know,from what I gather the Ultra is similarly voiced to the XXX,which is similar to the JSX,which I owned at one time,and the stock speakers for it were outrageously good...So you migt look into hat the JSX comes with stock

Are those actually guitar speakers? 250 RMS watts seems to be really high for a guitar speaker...

The Ultra is open backed. That's VERY good point now that I think about it. Frankly the only reason I'm upgrading the stock speakers (Peavey Sheffield 1230's) right now is because one of them has a pencil-eraser sized hole in it. I'm not entirely sure if it will stay that small, or if it will grow bigger. I'm kinda of reluctant to put nice speakers in the amp now that I've though about the whole open backed\closed back thing.

Hmmmm, maybe I should just convert the combo to a head and build a closed-back 2x12? Gosh, what to do, what to do...

-Stormy

Wow...that is quite a power rating...wonder if that is correct?But the Commonwealth is 225 watts,so probably is.

After thinking overnight,I realize the world of speakers may have changed in the last 10 or 15 years :D

I should try to get updated on what is going on now.When I was doing the amp cab selection thing Celestion was king and Eminence was just an inferior copy.But those on the top get complacent and start subbing out manufacture to save money,and those on the bottom tend to kicktheirselves in the ass and get better sometimes.

Look at Peavey...When I was a kid Peavey was only used for PA systems and was consided a cheap alternative to a Fender for a guitar amp,though everyone hated the tone...but they were built like a rock and would never go out.Now Peavey has a good line of amps...

Scheffield 1230s are supposed to be good speakers,from what I gather...

You might look at these while you are looking..Jensens are usually great quality,and these seem to be made to voice the modern-british sound that the Peavey's have

http://jensentone.com/mod_index.php

I was looking through the Eminence line,and honestly to me the only one that sounds promising is the commonwealth...in metal IMO you don't want very much breakup at high gains and volumes...Metal distortion comes from the preamp,not the power amp or the speakers...I personally hate power amp breakup or speaker breakup...it turns articulate riffing into mud.

The sound clips are useless...for one thing,no company besides Peavey seems to understand the modern metal scene...how you can have a sound clip for "high gain" without a palm muted chugging tone is beyond me.

Just depends...if you just want a generic metal tone,alot of speakers work great...if you want something that can handle anything from Bloodbath to Deicide(opposite ends of the death metal tone),you need a good clear speaker

What makes the common wealth so promising? That speaker must way a freaking ton! :D

I'm thinking that I may end up just geting a Governor and a Manowar, which would be the Eminence equivalent of a V30 and a GT12-75. I would love some real V30's, but I just think that with an open back 2x12 the highs and upper mids would just not work out well. I'm also thinking that speakers are even more subjective than amps, so to really decide for myself I think I will just have to bite the bullet and buy them.

-Stormy

I would love some real V30's, but I just think that with an open back 2x12 the highs and upper mids would just not work out well. I'm also thinking that speakers are even more subjective than amps, so to really decide for myself I think I will just have to bite the bullet and buy them.

You may be right.Speakers are the toughest decision to make,and once you find a system that works for you you will tend to stick with it...hence why I am so attached to my stack of 1960B vintage.I have gone through quite a few heads and made them all work for me,but the cabs have always been the same.

What makes the common wealth so promising? That speaker must way a freaking ton!

That is what makes it promising.The speakers I like always seem to have heavier magnets.I don't know if that is just coincidence,not knowing that much about how speakers are built,but I know what I like.Besides,the description says it has a high breakup point,which is what I like about my Vintage 30sin the baffled enclosure

CelestionVintage30SideLabel.jpg

CommonWealth12_Large_Net.jpg

I bet this cab is going to really rock!

I should say so.You have to get used to the awesomeness of a 4 by 12 though if you are used to combo amps..your ears may revolt at first...

Every time I change amps it takes me a month to get it where I like it...it took me longer to get used to my Engl...