Renders

KnightroExpress

Hey PG friends! I've been having a lot of fun with 3D modeling, so I'm opening this thread as a place to share renders as they're done. I welcome any feedback/critique/whatever, as I'm always willing to learn and refine my skills. And of course, I'd love to see some 3D work from you guys as well!

I'll kick us off with this: 

Voyager%20Classic%201_zpsjqbwzugd.png
Voyager%20Classic%202_zpstd9e5c9d.png
Voyager%20Classic%203_zpsmvxt9im6.png
Voyager%20Classic%204_zpsee8fljz9.png
Voyager%20Classic%205_zps4rhbpblu.png
Voyager%20Classic%206_zpstzrwk8jb.png
Voyager%20Classic%207_zps0ata7nnt.png
Voyager%20Classic%208_zpsxmpxlksh.png

Thanks for taking a look!

• Like 2

I've seen your renders around and about Andrew, and they're certainly excellent proofs of concept. I can see that the heel is going to be a contentious sticking point, because it looks rather weighty as it stands. How close do you feel your modelling is to the end product, and does it play a specific role in the process, or will it? I think the heel transition is a little coarse, however I guess that is down to the limitations of your modelling work at this stage?

Thanks Carl! I'm mainly using modeling as a way to preview designs in a somewhat realistic fashion. I don't have access to a CNC and probably won't for a good while, so generating toolpaths and such isn't really a big concern at the moment. Although if I did use these as a base for a CNC'd body, I certainly wouldn't be upset if I got a body I was 99% happy with!

You're completely right, I'd do a better job of blending the heel in real life, though I don't think this would feel terrible if done as-is. In reality, I'd smooth the heel out in a similar fashion to the padauk guitar from earlier this year. I just need more practice in Fusion's freeform sculpting environment...I've only been at this stuff for a few weeks. 

Yeah, I figured as much. I can't entirely say this "publicly" over on the FB groups, however you know how much people will simply blow smoke up your ass rather than offer any realistic usable balanced opinion. Renders are flashy and grab people's attention, however they rarely are able to figure out how it works within the context of a build and simply point at the colours. Know what I mean?

The other extreme is people knocking you for using technology beyond hitting things with stones or burning stuff. Renders such as this are excellent for taking the flat 2D plans we tend to work from and observing how they look from angles such as "into the cutaways".

From a design standpoint, I think the lower side of the neck joint is the only weak point. I don't think it'll be weak as such, however that's exactly where the line should be drawn. If any heel relief drew from that area, then you're going to have a bad time.

Modelling is great as a proofing tool even outside of CNC machining. It's as good as what you take from it, after all. I don't think people will bitch too much, however you can see the anti-CNC navel-gazers could attack at any moment so you must deal with the....nowait....

You know what I mean. You're developing your own working arc and you don't need the naysayers preaching from the peanut gallery. Equally, empty praise from the "awesome build dude!" crowd doesn't help you grounded.

I guess what I'm saying is "Facebook is shit".

Haha yep, I know what you're saying. I don't really respond to those ridiculous CNC threads anymore, it's not worth my time to type a response that someone won't consider or care about due to the fact that it's not their side of an argument. I only share on FB so I can show my non-forum friends and family what I'm up to.

I like sharing here because I get honest and genuinely useful feedback from you and many other builders I have respect for.  

Yep. It's all good. I think that on FB, if you don't post for a week them people simply forget who you are. That and people who are known and respectable luthiers often get abused or insulted by the young 'uns blundering in. Annoying, because social media has reduced people's attention span to something resembling the world's smallest violin.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I made these renders with Blender long time ago... they are not really finished but I had a lot of fun trying to figure out how to model carved tops. Finally found the NURBS like a very useful technique, not only for the top, also for all components with rounded edges. The most difficult part was the joint between the headstock and the neck itself, due to the volute. 

I did this after the real build, so it can not be considered as a proof of concept nor design stage... too late. ^^

Hope you like it.

02_def.jpg03_def.jpg04_def.jpg05_def.jpg01_def.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...